Tri-Chandra turns into a battle ground, again

KATHMANDU: A clash between students belonging to the student wings of the ruling CPN-UML and Nepali Congress in Tri-Chandra College left four persons injured in the Capital today.

Four students affiliated with All Nepal National Free Students Union sustained injuries when Nepal Students Union cadres attacked them with khukuris and knives at around 1 pm.

According to the police, it was the revenge attack by the NSU students as their friends were injured in a shootout on the campus premises a few weeks ago.

The injured -- Chiran Gaire, Biraj Bhetwal, Umesh Acharya and Kamal Rai -- have been admitted to Kathmandu Model Hospital for treatment. Condition of Gaire and Bhetwal is reported to be critical, said Ram Kumari Jhankri, president, ANNFSU.

After the dispute between the two student bodies gradually began taking a nasty turn, the riot police, which had reached the college premises as soon as the tension snowballed, used force to prevent further damage.

"Had the police not arrived on time, there would have been a gory fighting," said Mahesh Katawal, an eyewitness. The college was also closed after the incident.

"It's a deliberate attack by the NSU activists with the support of college administration," Jhakri claimed.

Denying the involvement of his cadres in the incident, NSU president Pradeep Poudel said it was a sheer rumour spread by ANNFSU.

The police had also lathicharged after a group of youths, who were chanting slogans against NSU, tried to disrupt the vehicular movement in front of the Tri-Chandra College. The police said they had also foiled an arson bid by ANNFSU cadres.

"We chased the students trying to burn the furniture," said a police official.

Earlier, a group of NSU and ANNFSU cadres had involved in an altercation at the college canteen. While ANNFSU accused the NSU students of brandishing khukuries, the latter claimed that their cadres weren't involved in the attack.

Dozens of students coming to collect the examination admission card were compelled to return empty-handed as the administration closed the regular business citing security reason.

The students affiliated with the two student bodies had also clashed on July 5 following a dispute over a tender notice published by the college. Then, two NSU students were injured. The case has not been settled yet.