Nepal | September 27, 2020

UNESCO pulls out of reconstruction project

Ujjwal Satyal
Share Now:

Kathmandu, July 9

United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation has decided to withdraw its support for the reconstruction of two heritage temples on the premises of  Hanumandhoka Durbar Square, a UNESCO World Heritage Site which suffered damage in the 2015 earthquakes.

Issuing a press release today, the UNESCO Office in Kathmandu stated it had withdrawn its support for the restoration of Jagannath and Gopinath temples following threats issued by some locals to the on-site workers.

Christian Manhart, UNESCO representative to Nepal, in a statement said, “UNESCO is saddened to pull out of the restoration project.”

According to the UN agency, right from the time when the reconstruction work started in the year-2018, some locals were demanding that the reconstruction work of the temples should be carried out without foreign aid.

Following the locals’ obstruction, UNESCO arranged a series of meetings with local community members, the Ministry of Culture Tourism and Civil Aviation, Nepal Reconstruction Authority, Department of Archaeology and Member of Province 3 Provincial Assembly Rajesh Shakya and continued the reconstruction work till 15 May 2019, according to UNESCO. It said despite the talks some locals kept issuing threats to the workers. “UNESCO has, therefore, decided to withdraw all its support for the project,” read the press release.

UNESCO said it had completed damage assessment drawings, architectural documentation, structural analysis, archaeological research of foundations and detailed retrofitting designs of the temples with the help of a team of local conservation experts and in close consultation with the Department of Archaeology, ward officials, local communities and priests.

It further sated, “All documentation of the restoration work has been handed over to the care of the DoA for completion of the remaining work to meet the international standards required for World Heritage Sites.”

Director General of DoA Damodar Gautam  said, “Although it’s good for locals and stakeholders to take ownership of heritage sites, we cannot welcome the move of the locals of issuing threats to the workers after UNESCO started the construction work.”

Many local activists and conservationists told THT that they would accept financial and other support from international agencies, but
the responsibility of reconstructing religious buildings should be given to local people.

UNESCO was reconstructing the temple in coordination with the Department of Archaeology. Japanese government and Nepal Investment Bank Limited were  providing financial support for the reconstruction.

In September last year, the DoA had to cancel its plan to entrust Japan International Cooperation Agency with the responsibility to reconstruct Agamche temple at Hanumandhoka area following locals’ protest. The locals had said that they themselves had to build the temple to preserve its religious value.

Gaddhi Baithak, one of the major heritage buildings at Basantapur, has already been restored with the support of the US government and a historic nine-storey palace is being restored by China.


A version of this article appears in print on July 10, 2019 of The Himalayan Times.


Follow The Himalayan Times on Twitter and Facebook

Recommended Stories:

More from The Himalayan Times:

1,207 new cases take Nepal’s coronavirus tally to 71,821 on Saturday

KATHMANDU: Nepal’s coronavirus tally moved to 71,821 as 1,207 new infections were reported in the last 24 hours. As many as 1,147 people that had earlier contracted Covid-19 tested negative for the infection as per the Ministry’s latest data. So far, 53,013 people have recovered from the dise Read More...

Eight Covid-19 fatalities registered on Saturday, death toll advances to 467

KATHMANDU: Eight more individuals diagnosed with coronavirus infection have succumbed to the disease, the Ministry of Health and Population confirmed at its regular media briefing on Saturday. All of those reported dead were males. Details of the deceased individuals 66-year-old male, Sap Read More...

Dhangadhi Sub-metropolis continues providing free food to returnees from India

DHANGADHI: Dhangadhi Sub-metropolitan City has been providing food and hygiene kits free of cost to Nepalis returning home from India via Trinagar border checkpoint since March. The Sub-metropolis has been providing food for Nepalis who are tired after a long journey from India since the time Read More...

Nepal COVID-19 Update: 1207 new cases, 1147 recoveries, eight fatalities recorded Saturday

KATHMANDU: Nepal’s Health Ministry, in its regular press briefing, shared the latest updates on coronavirus contagion from across the country, and government’s response to the health crisis. As of today, 978,204 tests through Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) method have been carried where Read More...

Bajura's Himali Rural Municipality opens rafting in Karnali River

BAJURA: Himali Rural Municipality of hilly Bajura district has started the operation of rafting in Karnali River targeting domestic and international tourists. According to ward chair Gobindra Bahadur Malla, the Rural Municipality has started operating rafting from Dhulachaur to Piluchaur for Read More...

Students demand justice for Bajhang rape victim in Kathmandu

KATHMANDU, SEPTEMBER 26 Students take to the streets on Saturday demanding justice for a 12-year-old girl whose dead body was found in a temple in Bajhang district on Thursday night. The minor was raped before being killed by the culprit/s. As per local police, investigation into the case in unde Read More...

Passengers adopt 'new normal' at Kathmandu airport amid coronavirus scare

KATHMANDU, SEPTEMBER 26 Passengers traveling to and from the capital are seen with personal protective gears at the domestic terminal of the Tribhuvan International Airport in Kathmandu. Photos by Skanda Gautam for The Himalayan Times. Read More...

United earn dramatic win at Brighton with late Fernandes penalty

BRIGHTON: Manchester United beat Brighton & Hove Albion 3-2 away in the Premier League on Saturday after an incredible finale in which Bruno Fernandes struck the winning goal from the penalty spot in the 100th minute of the game. Fernandes's winner, which came after referee Chris Ka Read More...