Itahari, July 8:

The police administration yesterday declared the 15 persons missing in the Sapta Koshi boat tragedy dead. DIGP of the eastern region, Keshav Baral, who arrived at Rajabasghat in the morning, said the missing persons have been declared dead. He said, four bodies were found in course of search.

“Though search is on for the missing, they have not been found yet. If they had been alive, they would have come into contact,” Baral said.

He arrived in Rajabasghat to distribute relief to the victims provided by the DAO and local organisations. He said civilians should be cautious to control such disasters. He expressed commitment that he would inform the higher authority about managing the risky travel through waterways in the Koshi river. “We are ready to take action against the guilty,” he said. Rs 1,000 was provided to the family of each victim yesterday. The relief was collected from Kusaha Barrack of the Nepali Army, Nepal Police and DAO. Similarly, Chamber of Commerce and Industry Association Mahendranagar, Bharaul and Rajabas also provided 15 kg of rice, three kg of beaten rice, two kg of iodized salt and one liter of oil to the victims’ families. The administration yesterday updated the mishap account. According to the police involved in rescue, 54 persons were rescued alive. Among the 19 missing, the rescuers found four bodies from the river. Three were identified as Lila Kumari Urawa, Krishna Chandrabanshi and Om Prakash Chandrabanshi whereas the body of one victim could not be identified.