RAUTAHAT, FEBRUARY 22

Police have detained 23 individuals, including a sitting and a former ward chairperson, on charges of inciting communal tension in Gaur Municipality following an attack on a wedding procession last week.

According to the District Police Office Rautahat, the dispute began around 9:45 pm on Thursday when a wedding procession passing through a route near a mosque was confronted over the issue of playing music. The incident escalated, leaving the district headquarters tense for the past three days.

Superintendent of Police Sitaram Rijal said Ward Chair Awadhbihari Sah of Gaur-6 Sabgadha and former ward chair Sheikh Jamshed are among those taken into custody. Legal proceedings have been initiated against the detainees.

Police said detailed interrogation and investigation are underway. SP Rijal stated that audio clips allegedly linked to key individuals have surfaced and that their mobile phones are also being examined. He warned that those found guilty will face action in accordance with prevailing laws.

Following the escalation, the administration has continued the curfew imposed from 1:00 pm on Saturday. More than 500 security personnel have been deployed across Gaur considering the sensitivity of the situation.

Chief District Officer Dinesh Sagar Bhusal said a joint team of Nepal Police, Armed Police Force and the Nepali Army has tightened security arrangements and brought the situation under control.

The administration has urged residents not to fall prey to rumours and to cooperate in maintaining peace and order. Authorities also announced that a multi-party goodwill rally will be organised in Sabgadha at 7:30 am on Monday to promote communal harmony.