Kathmandu, June 11:
The government is likely to extend the tenure of the task force constituted last year to collect data on deaths, destruction and displacement caused by the 12-year Maoist insurgency.
Tenure of the panel expired on Sunday. The government is likely to extend the tenure of the panel by three years.
â€œThe cabinet will soon take a decision on the matter,â€ said spokesperson for the Ministry of Peace and Reconstruction Shyam Sundar Sharma. According to him, the government incurred a loss of property worth five billion rupees during the armed rebellion.
The destruction includes damage to physical infrastructure.
â€œReconstruction work is under way. This year, we are investing one billion rupees for reconstruction,â€ Sharma said adding that the ministry plans to invest three billion rupees the next fiscal year.
He said seven to eight billion rupees will be required to reconstruct government infrastructure.
Sharma said the ministry will complete the reconstruction work in three years, provided the government earmarks required budget. According to data collected so far by the task force, Kalikot, Sindhupalchowk, Jumla, Banke, Dailekh and Dang districts witnessed maximum damage of government property.