Nepal | July 10, 2020

‘Contractor used sub-standard blacktopping materials’

Himalayan News Service
Share Now:

Jajarkot, April 1

Locals complained that the contractor had used sub-standard materials for blacktopping the six-kilometre Shantichaur Buspark-Kalegaun road section in Khalanga, Jajarkot.

Locals vented anger at the contractor company for its negligent work.

Jajarkot Chamber of Commerce and Industry General Secretary Inshwori Khatri said Rajendra Jaljala Construction JV had used sub-standard construction materials for blacktopping. Khatri added that the authority concerned had kept mum over the issue.

District dwellers were irked after the construction company started blacktopping the road without adopting measures to prevent possible landslides in areas prone to landslips.

The Federation of Nepali Journalists Jajarkot Chapter Chairman Bhim Bahadur Singh said they had informed the authorities about the problem but nothing was done.

However, proprietor of the construction company Prajit Lama blamed the locals for the poor work saying they had frequently obstructed the blacktopping project unnecessarily. “The villagers neither permitted us to expand the road nor allowed us to dig a drainage trench,” he added.

Bheri Municipality Mayor Chandra Prakash Gharti said he would look into the matter and try to find the truth. “I will hold discussion among stakeholders and act accordingly,” he assured.

 


A version of this article appears in print on April 02, 2018 of The Himalayan Times.


Follow The Himalayan Times on Twitter and Facebook

Recommended Stories:

More from The Himalayan Times:

Public transportation workers stage protest in Rajbiraj

RAJBIRAJ, JULY 8 Public transportation workers working in Saptari district demonstrated demanding permits for the operation of transport service in Rajbiraj today. At the initiative of Nepal Transportation Free Labour Union Municipal committee and All Nepal Electricity Rickshaw, Auto, Temp Read More...

92pc COVID patients recover, return home in Rautahat

RAUTAHAT, JULY 8 Ninety-two percent COVID-19 patients have so far recovered and returned home in Rautahat, the district that tops the province in COVID-19 infections. As per data, 1,246 India returnees from India and abroad have so far tested positive for coronavirus in the district. “We Read More...

NCP feud ripples seen in Saptari

RAJBIRAJ, JULY 8 The intra-party feud in the Nepal Communist Party (NCP) seems to have trickled to the district level in Saptari as two different factions were at odds over holding a support rally in favour of the Prime Minister and party Co-chair KP Sharma Oli. After a faction of the party l Read More...

Patient reported to have died returns home after recovery

CHITWAN, JULY 8 A person who was reported dead during treatment returned home yesterday after recovery. Relatives of the patient had vandalised the local Chitwan Medical College blaming the hospital’s sheer negligence for the death. However, Ashish BK, 18, of the Bharatpur metropolis, who Read More...

Chitwan

Two killed in separate road accidents

CHITWAN, JULY 8 A pedestrian was killed when a vehicle knocked him down at Khahare of Bharatpur Metropolitan City in the wee hours today. Chitwan District Police Office confirmed the death of the person of around 25 years of age on the spot in the accident that occurred at 3:30am today. The Read More...

People living in constant fear of floods for years

Due to rapid erosion, pillars on the Nepal-India border are also falling into the river  LAMKI, JULY 8 Every year when monsoon starts people residing downstream of Karnali River in Kailali have to spend sleepless nights due to fear of floods. This year too, locals of Srilanka, Tikapur, have Read More...

Two die, 23 go missing as floods sweep away 16 houses in Sindhupalchok

KAVRE: Two persons died while 23 others went missing as the monsoon-fed rivers swept away 14 houses in Bahrabise Municipality-5 and two houses in Bhotekoshi Rural Municipality of Sindhupalchok district on Wednesday night. Sindhupalchok District Administration Office (DAO) identified the dec Read More...

Spurs boss Mourinho criticises FA over Dier ban

Tottenham Hotspur manager Jose Mourinho has criticised the Football Association's decision to ban Eric Dier for four games over a confrontation with a fan in March. Video footage of the incident during Tottenham's defeat by Norwich City in the FA Cup fifth round showed the England internation Read More...