Disqualified fighters' discharge to be over today
DANG: The Maoist combatants, disqualified by the United Nations Mission in Nepal, are leaving the Fifth Division Headquarters Dahaban tomorrow.
UCPN-Maoist chairman Pushpa Kamal Dahal ‘Prachanda’, UNMIN chief Karen Landgren and the ambassadors of the UK, France, Russia, USA and China to Nepal are attending the farewell function in Dahaban.
Abinash, assistant commander of the Fifth Division, said preparations were on to bid farewell to 283 out of 493 disqualified fighters sheltered in Dahaban, Ugha and Tila cantonments in Rolpa district. He said some of the disqualified had already left the camps.
The Fifth Division cantons 2,430 combatants verified by the UNMIN. The government started sending the disqualified fighters home from the Maoist Second Division located at Dudhauli of Sindhuli on January 7. The task ends with tomorrow’s farewell.
The seven divisions of the Maoist People’s Liberation Army had more than 4,000 disqualified combatants. As many as 2,500 combatants are expected to leave the camps formally, while the rest deserted the camps on their own.