Nepal | June 07, 2020

General shutdown hits life across nation

Terror unleashed as bombs go off and vehicles get torched

HIMALAYAN NEWS SERVICE
Share Now:

Hetauda, May 27

The general strike called by the Netra Bikram Chand-led Communist Party of Nepal left people terrified as the banned political outfit planted bombs and torched vehicles at different places across the country today.

CPN had enforced the shutdown to protest the death of its cadre Tirthraj Ghimire in police firing in Bhojpur.

A Nepali Army team defused a pressure cooker bomb at Buddha Chowk of Hetauda Sub-metropolitan City in Makawanpur at 5:00am today.

Another Nepali Army team defused a pressure cooker bomb planted in front of Ncell office at Srijana Chowk, Pokhara, at 8:00am. The NA team also deactivated a bomb each planted at Pokhara’s Durbarmarg and on the roadside of Annapurna Rural Municipality, along the Bhupiserchan Highway.

District Police Office Kaski DSP Rabindraman Gurung said security was heightened after improvised explosive devices were found at various places in Pokhara.

Another NA team defused a pressure cooker bomb at Chandrapur of Rautahat along the East-West Highway.

According to police, a pressure cooker bomb was found inside a noodle carton.

Rautahat Police Chief SP Bhupendra Bahadur Khatri said a large number of police personnel had been deployed to prevent untoward incidents along the highway.

A Nepali Army team deployed from Krishnadal Gan at Byas Municipality defused a pressure cooker bomb planted at Musekhola of Byas Municipality in Tanahun, along the Prithvi highway and a bomb kept inside a tea kettle at Nahal of Bandipur Rural Municipality last night.

Suspicious objects were found at various places of Kailali and Baitadi.

According to Inspector Prakash Dangi of Kailali District Police Office, a suspicious object wrapped in a sack was found at Lalpur of Godawari Municipality, in Kailali.

Another suspicious object connected with plastic wire was found at Shreekot of Dogadakedar Rural Municipality. NA teams had defused both the suspicious objects.

A truck loaded with cement was hit with a petrol bomb at Arunkhola of Madhyabindu Municipality, along the East-West Highway, Nawalpur today morning.

The truck driver had lost control and fallen five metres below the road and caught fire. Driver Amar BK, 33, was injured in the incident. His back and face have received burns. He is undergoing treatment at Manakamana Poly Clinic, Nawalpur.

In the same manner, a petrol bomb was thrown at the moving jeep at Patharkhola of Kawasoti Municipality, Nawalpur. A tent kept inside the jeep caught fire.

Bara police said that a parked Indian truck was torched at Bajani of Jitpursimara Sub-metropolitan City in Bara. The fire had burnt down pipes brought for the Nepal-India petroleum pipeline project, said DSP Ranjit Singh Rathaur.

A parked mini-truck at Chaukitole of Hetauda Sub-metropolitan City-1 was set ablaze along the Tribhuvan Highway in Makawanpur last night.

The truck was completely damaged.

Makawanpur DSP Yagya Prasad Bhattarai said a bus was torched at Khanigaun of Thaha Municipality, Makawanpur.

Life was partially affected in most of the districts outside Kathmandu valley due to the bandh.

Long route buses stayed off the road though a large number of security personnel were deployed to provide security. Market places and shops pulled down their shutters in various districts while educational institutions remained closed due to the strike.


A version of this article appears in print on May 28, 2019 of The Himalayan Times.


Follow The Himalayan Times on Twitter and Facebook

Recommended Stories:

More from The Himalayan Times:

Supreme Court of Nepal

SC orders release of illegally-detained man

KATHMANDU, JUNE 5 The Supreme Court today rebuked District Administration Office, Siraha, and others for unlawfully detaining Chakra Bahadur Khatri, a resident of Khotang district, for more than a year. The court asked the National Human Rights Commission to secure the release of the man and w Read More...

Trump orders big US troop cut in Germany, official says

BANGOR, MAINE: US President Donald Trump has ordered the military to remove 9,500 troops from Germany, a senior US official said on Friday, a move likely to raise concerns in Europe about the US commitment to the continent. The move would reduce US troops numbers in Germany to 25,000, from the 3 Read More...

15 yrs on, Bandarmudhe blast victims still await justice

CHITWAN, JUNE 5 Fifteen years have passed since the infamous Bandarmudhe bomb blast, but the victims of the incident are still awaiting justice. The bomb blast carried out by the then rebelling CPN Maoist on a passenger bus at Madi of southern Chitwan had taken the lives of 38 people, leaving Read More...

michael jordan

Jordan giving $100 million for racial equality, justice

CHARLOTTE: Michael Jordan and the Jordan Brand are giving $100 million to organizations dedicated to promoting racial equality and social justice. In a joint statement Friday on social media, Jordan and the Jordan Brand said money will be paid over 10 years with the goal of “ensuring racial equ Read More...

Buffalo officers suspended in shoving of 75-year-old man

BUFFALO: Dozens of Buffalo police officers stepped down from the department's crowd control unit Friday, objecting to the suspensions of two fellow officers in the shoving of a 75-year-old protester who fell and cracked his head. Prosecutors were investigating the encounter captured by a TV crew Read More...

Kylie Jenner tops Forbes highest paid celebs list a week after Forbes' scathing report of her not being a billionaire

LOS ANGELES: After making headlines a week ago in a Forbes report for not being a billionaire, Kylie Jenner on June 4 was ranked at Number 1 by Forbes in its annual world's highest paid celebrities list. She was followed by musician Kanye West, who is married to her half-sister Kim Kadarshian Read More...

Swab collection halted for five days in Sudurpaschim

DHANGADI, JUNE 5 Sudurpaschim Province has halted collection of throat swab samples for five days. Province Health Directorate Office Dhangadi said it had stopped collecting swab samples as more than 1,000 swabs were on hold and left to be tested. “We have more than 1,000 swab samples yet Read More...

Hollywood star Leonardo DiCaprio dedicated to ending disenfranchisement of Black America

KATHMANDU: Joining a growing list of Hollywood celebrities donating to organisations working for equal rights during the 'Black Lives Matter' protests in the US, actor Leonardo DiCaprio too has announced donations while urging others to take action. Taking to Twitter on June 5, the Once Upon A T Read More...