Nepal | November 30, 2020

Kathmandu Valley’s heritage at stake

Himalayan News Service
Share Now:

UNESCO not happy with the pace of reconstruction in the Kathmandu Valley

post-earthquake reconstruction in basantapur

File – A monument, damaged by the 2015 earthquake, undergoes reconstruction in Basantapur Durbar Area in Kathmandu, on Friday, August 12, 2016. Photo: RSS

Kathmandu, March 24

A UNESCO mission, which arrived in Kathmandu a few days ago, is taking stock of the situation of World Heritage sites and is likely to recommend that Kathmandu Valley World Heritage Property be put in the ‘danger list’.

Last year too, the mission had recommended to the UNESCO World Heritage Committee to place Kathmandu in the danger list. The committee, however, decided against it following ‘intense lobbying’.

Listed for their outstanding cultural values, the world heritage property of the Kathmandu Valley comprises seven monument zones — the durbar squares or urban centres with their palaces, temples and public spaces of Kathmandu, Patan and Bhaktapur, and the religious ensembles of Swoyambhu, Bouddhanath, Pashupati and Changunarayan.

With the seven monuments in the Kathmandu Valley listed as a package, all sites will be placed in the danger list even if not all of them no longer meet the set criteria, claimed an official at UNESCO, who did not want to be named.

The Department of Archaeology, on the other hand, said the mission was in town for UNESCO’s regular monitoring of the heritage sites, and there was ‘no threat’ of the sites being placed in danger list.

“We have been following the UNESCO Convention and fully complying with the recommendations made by UNESCO,” DoA Spokesperson Ram Bahadur Kunwar said. The final decision on whether or not to put the Kathmandu Valley World Heritage Property in the danger list, however, will be taken after the mission submits its report to UNESCO’s World Heritage Committee in July.

UNESCO, meanwhile, is not happy with the pace of reconstruction in the Kathmandu Valley and the way it is being done.

Seven monuments of the Kathmandu Valley made it to the list of UNESCO’s ‘cultural’ list for meeting three criteria — of bearing a unique or at least exceptional testimony to a cultural tradition or to a civilisation which is living or which has disappeared; being an outstanding example of a type of building, architectural or technological ensemble or landscape which illustrates a significant stage in human history; and being directly or tangibly associated with events or living traditions, with ideas, or with beliefs, with artistic and literary works of outstanding universal significance.

For failing to meet UNESCO’s recommendations and curb haphazard urbanisation, which resulted into loss of traditional houses and unique architecture for which the Kathmandu Valley was known for, though most of the monuments were in good conditions, the World Heritage Committee repeatedly recommended to put the Kathmandu Valley in the List of World Heritage in Danger since 1993.

The Kathmandu Valley was listed in the danger list in 2003 for being ‘threatened by uncontrolled urban development’. The property was finally removed from the list four years later after the boundaries were redefined, buffer zones were created and management systems were put in place.

The World Heritage Committee had earlier noted that all seven monument zones suffered extensive damage from the earthquakes of April and May 2015 that resulted in adverse impacts on attributes, authenticity, integrity and management of the property and put its Outstanding Universal Value at risk.

The mission is visiting on the request of the government of Nepal to review the progress made since the last visit of the mission in 2016. The Department of Archaeology had submitted an updated report to the World Heritage Centre on February 1 on the state of conservation of property and the implementation of suggestions made in the previous review.

READ ALSO:


A version of this article appears in print on March 25, 2017 of The Himalayan Times.


Follow The Himalayan Times on Twitter and Facebook

Recommended Stories:

More from The Himalayan Times:

National Covid-19 tally reaches 231,978 on Sunday with 1255 fresh infections

KATHMANDU: The countrywide Covid-19 tally reached 231,978 as 1255 additional infections emerged on Sunday. The capital hosts the highest amount of active cases which, on an average, reports half of the daily reported live infections. Likewise, 1404 people who were earlier infected with the vir Read More...

25 more fatalities registered today; Covid-19 death-toll advances to 1,479

KATHMANDU: Twenty-five more fatalities were reported in the last 24 hours with which Nepal’s Covid-19 death-tally has now advanced to 1,479. Meanwhile, 1,255 fresh coronavirus cases as reported today took the nationwide coronavirus case count to 231,978. Over 1.4 million deaths from the dis Read More...

Kathmandu Valley records 548 new cases on Sunday

KATHMANDU: The three districts of Kathmandu Valley reported a total of 548 new cases of coronavirus infection on Sunday. Of the new cases, 244 are females and 304 are males. As many as 422 cases were recorded in Kathmandu district while Lalitpur and Bhaktapur reported 61 and 65 cases respectiv Read More...

Smith hits second straight ton as Australia post 389-4 vs India

SYDNEY: Steve Smith led an imperious display from Australia's top-order batsmen with his second straight century as the hosts piled on a massive 389 for four against India's listless bowlers in the second one-day international in Sydney on Sunday. The match followed a script similar to Fr Read More...

Chinese Defence Minister calls on PM Oli

KATHMANDU: Chinese Defence Minister Wei Fenghe has called on Prime Minister KP Sharma Oli at the latter's official residence in Baluwatar. The State Councilor and Defence Minister of China arrived here this morning on a one day official visit. Fenghe had asserted that his short visit to Ne Read More...

Bayern made to sweat for 3-1 win at Stuttgart

STUTTGART: Kingsley Coman scored one goal and set up another as Bayern Munich came from a goal down to beat VfB Stuttgart 3-1 on Saturday and stay top of the Bundesliga. It was the seventh consecutive game that Bayern, who face Atletico Madrid in the Champions League next week, conceded a goa Read More...

Liverpool held, City on fire and Everton lose again

LONDON: Liverpool were held to a 1-1 draw at Brighton after conceding a VAR-inspired stoppage-time penalty while Riyad Mahrez scored a hat-trick in Manchester City's 5-0 crushing of Burnley in the Premier League on Saturday. Carlo Ancelotti's Everton suffered their fourth defeat in five games aft Read More...

Worldwide coronavirus cases cross 62.06 million, death toll at 1,450,479

LONDON: More than 62.06 million people have been reported to be infected by the novel coronavirus globally and 1,450,479​ have died, according to a Reuters tally. Infections have been reported in more than 210 countries and territories since the first cases were identified in China in December Read More...