Left alliance likely to finalise seat sharing today

Kathmandu, October 27

The left alliance formed by the CPN-UML and the CPN-Maoist Centre is likely to finalise allocation of the first-past-the-post constituencies and candidates for FPTP and proportional representation electoral systems on Saturday.

According to CPN-MC Chair Pushpa Kamal Dahal’s secretariat, the UML and the CPN-MC have already allocated 90 per cent FPTP constituencies and they are likely to allocate the remaining 10 per cent constituencies tomorrow.

CPN-MC leader Narayan Kaji Shrestha said the alliance leaders were likely to select FPTP candidates tomorrow and also make final amendments to the PR list. Political parties will have to make final amendment to their PR list on Sunday.

There are 37 parliamentary FPTP constituencies in 32 districts where the first phase of provincial and parliamentary polls will be held on November 26. Similarly, there are 128 parliamentary FPTP constituencies and 256 provincial FPTP constituencies in 45 districts where the second phase of elections will take place on December 7.

According to Shrestha, Party Unity Coordination Committee led by UML Chair KP Sharma Oli and CPN-MC Chair Pushpa Kamal Dahal will finalise the FPTP constituencies in over 10 districts tomorrow where these parties have rival claims. There are four top leaders from the UML and three leaders from the CPN-MC, including Shrestha, in PUCC.

According to Dahal’s Private Secretary Jokha Bahadur Mahara, Dahal and Oli were to divide the remaining FPTP constituencies today but they could not do so as Dahal returned to Kathmandu late from Pokhara. After having discussion with Oli this morning, Dahal went to Pokhara to attend a party programme.

The task force formed by the UML and CPN-MC had handed over the lists of disputed constituencies to the chairpersons of their respective parties. These parties have rival claims in constituencies of Makwanpur, Chitwan, Kaski, Gulmi, Arghakhanchi, Morang, Sunsari, Udaypur and Banke.

“Rival claims come from both sides for both parliamentary and provincial constituencies. We could not sort it out in the task force so we forwarded them to top leaders,” said a UML source.

Matrika Yadav, a member of task force from the CPN-MC said, “We have partially finalised constituency allocation in almost all districts.”

The CPN-MC has kept three constituencies in Kathmandu, while the rest will be allocated to UML.  “We have a short time to finalise constituency allocation,” said Yadav.

Sources in both the parties said that they were dividing constituencies among themselves keeping in view the plan to create a unified party after the polls.