People had to wait too long in the queue to cast their vote due to lack of proper management at the polling centre.

People waited more than two hours to cast the ballot.

Polls were held peacefully in most polling centres of Kathmandu with voters keen to cast their votes.

A woman showing her thumb with ink mark after casting her vote in Kathmandu
A woman showing her thumb with ink mark after casting her vote in Kathmandu

A volunteer at the polling centre of Mahalaxmi Municipality-1, Rural Municipality Building, Imadol, said people started coming before 7:00am.

The voting started exactly on time and no misconduct was reported. People seemed eager to cast their votes. Even the ill and differently-abled people got opportunity to cast their votes.

One voter at Imadol said, "I had to stay in the queue for more than two hours to cast my vote, but apart from lack of management of the voter list, everything else was fine here."

Another volunteer said everything was well-managed and added, "We have been working efficiently and even election officials are quite cooperative."

One of the volunteers at the polling centre of Prabhat Higher Secondary School, Tyagal, Lalitpur, said no untoward incident happened and polling was conducted smoothly.

"People are well aware of their adult franchise. They stood in line and followed all rules and regulations," the volunteer said.

An 18-year-old voter said he was very happy. "I have always waited for this day to come. I was quite frustrated with the work of the local government and afraid to question them, but now I have cast my vote and will raise questions if there is any misconduct. I think everyone should cast their vote, so they can question local representatives later," he shared.

Jiban Magar, a student, opined that the Election Commission should use alternative ways, so everyone could cast their vote from wherever they were. He said, "I am staying in Lalitpur for my studies and exams.

So, I wanted to cast my vote from here but due to EC rules, I had to go home to vote.

Due to election all the buses were crammed and I was unable to go to my village."

A version of this article appears in the print on May 14, 2022, of The Himalayan Times.