Nepal | June 05, 2020

Nepal imports electric decorative lights worth Rs 600 mln for Tihar

Rastriya Samachar Samiti
Share Now:

Houses illuminated with electric decorative lights during Tihar festival in Anamnagar of Kathmandu, on Tuesday, November 06, 2018. Photo: Mausam Shah Nepali

CHITWAN: Tihar, also known as the ‘festival of lights’ has already begun in the country, people are busy buying electric decorative lights across the country including in Chitwan.

Electric decorative lights worth over Rs 600 million have entered the country for the specific purpose of the Tihar festival this time around. Such lights are used to decorate homes, yards, offices, and alleys and lanes during Tihar festival.

According to the Federation of Electrical Entrepreneurs of Nepal central president, Tej Narayan Kharel, import of electric lamps during the festival doubles than during normal times.

Several varieties of electric lights including disco lights, electric candles and colourful tube lights have been imported for Tihar. Of the total imports, 90 per cent is from China and the remaining 10 per cent is from India.

Ironically, Nepal is totally dependent on its two close neighbours for the supply of Tihar lights.

Federation general secretary Resham Devkota said the culture of burning oil-fed lamps and using locally available materials such as mustard oil and Pomelo leaves to brighten the houses during the Tihar is gradually vanishing with the increasing use of electric decorative lights.

According to the Nepal Electricity Authority, Bharatpur distribution centre’s chief Suresh Mahato, power consumption increases by 15 per cent during the Tihar.

However, the closure of industries and factories in Tihar makes it easier to manage power supply in this period, Mahato said.


Follow The Himalayan Times on Twitter and Facebook

Recommended Stories:

More from The Himalayan Times:

Traders defy lockdown as patience runs thin in Nepal

Durbar Marg shops to open from today Other traders, businesses also defiant KATHMANDU, JUNE 3 With no end in sight to the nationwide lockdown imposed on March 24 that has effectively halted all economic activities for the past two-and-a-half months, traders, firms and industries have be Read More...

Mahakali Hospital isolation ward filled with COVID-19 patients

KANCHANPUR: At least fifteen COVID-19 patients have been admitted to the isolation ward of Mahakali Hospital in Bhimdattanagar Municipality, Kanchanpur district. The isolation ward has a capacity of 20 beds. The hospital has started treatment of COVID-19 since Tuesday. Seven persons — reside Read More...

The office of the prime minister and council of ministers, OPMCM

Evacuation of Nepalis likely to begin Friday

KATHMANDU, JUNE 3 After the plan to evacuate stranded Nepali citizens from several countries was approved by the Cabinet a few days ago, the government is gearing up to bring them home on priority basis from Friday. Narayan Bidari, secretary at the Office of the Prime Minister and Council of M Read More...

Home isolation for asymptomatic, mild Covid cases

KATHMANDU, JUNE 3 The Ministry of Health and Population has directed hospitals to send home patients infected with the novel coronavirus who show mild or no symptom of the disease so that hospitals can treat severe cases of COVID-19. Hospitals treating COVID-19 patients have also been told to Read More...

Nepal govt may declare state of public health emergency as coronavirus cases rise steadily

KATHMANDU: The Ministry of Health and Population is mulling over proposing to the Council of Ministers to declare state of public health emergency in the country following a surge in the number of COVID-19 cases in the country. Section 48 (2) of the Public Health Service Act states that if public Read More...

COVID-19 curve flattening in Narainapur

NEPALGUNJ, JUNE 3 The COVID-19 spread seems to have come under control in Narainapur Rural Municipality, Banke, which had emerged as a coronavirus hotspot after a number of people tested positive for the virus here earlier. According to the district’s corona focal person Naresh Shrestha, it Read More...

Frontline workers to get hazard allowance

KATHMANDU, JUNE 3 The Government of Nepal has published ‘Hazard Allowance Management Order for Human Resources Involved in the Treatment of COVID-19 Infection’ in Nepal Gazette for its implementation. The order aims to provide hazard allowance to the human resources involved in the identif Read More...

Kathmandu Medical College sealed

KATHMANDU, JUNE 3 Kathmandu Medical College Teaching Hospital in Sinamangal has been shut for an indefinite period after two of its health workers contracted COVID-19. The hospital’s Medical Director Dr Mukunda Raj Joshi issuing a notice today, informed that the hospital would be closed for Read More...