Nepal | August 07, 2020

Spring season draws blank on Mt Manaslu after Swiss expedition gives up

Rajan Pokhrel
Share Now:

File: Mount Manaslu base camp after avalanche hit the tent. Photo courtesy: Norbu Sherpa

KATHMANDU: The world’s eighth highest mountain Mount Manaslu is all set to draw a complete bank in the spring climbing season after a group of mountaineers today abandoned their bids citing a bad weather condition, according to the expedition organiser.

“The only expedition to Mt Manaslu this season organised by Wild Yak Expeditions has decided to abandon the expedition due to high risk of avalanche in higher camps,” Norbu Sherpa, Managing Director at Wild Yak Expeditions, shared. “The avalanche which arrived at the base camp also destroyed a couple of tents but there was no human casualty,” he told THT.

A team led by Swiss climber Steve Bernard was forced to return after a number of avalanches followed by the high wind and heavy snowfall restricted the team members from attempting to scale the 8,163-metre peak in the western Nepal, Sherpa added.

According to the Department of Tourism, the Wild Yak Expedition was the only team to attempt to climb Mt Manaslu this season. “The team has six members from Switzerland and one each from France and Austria,” a DoT official said, referring to the climbing permit issued for Mt Manaslu this season.


Follow The Himalayan Times on Twitter and Facebook

Recommended Stories:

More from The Himalayan Times:

Ayurveda university infrastructure development board formation order issued

KATHMANDU, AUGUST 5 Bidushi Yogmaya Ayurveda University Infrastructure Development Board Formation Order-2020, issued by the Ministry of Education, Science and Technology, stipulates a nine-member board under the chairmanship of a person appointed by the Government of Nepal. Its members includ Read More...

Banke district

Seven govt offices in Banke district sealed

NEPALGUNJ, AUGUST 5 COVID-19 was detected in a government employee for the first time in Nepalgunj on July 27. A female staff working at the Banke Transport Management Office tested positive for the virus. Since then, employees in seven government offices have contracted the deadly virus in th Read More...

Bharatpur

Encroachment blamed for inundation

CHITWAN, AUGUST 5 Encroachment of the main city area of Bharatpur Metropolitan City and the canal of Narayani lift irrigation project has caused inundation of the city area. Construction of road in the area and building of structures by burying the canal has led to inundation in the city, said Read More...

Kailali

Body left to rot in hope of resurrection

TIKAPUR, AUGUST 5 “Religious belief of bringing the dead back to life” has allowed a dead body to rot. The mortal remains of a man of Tikapur-1 of Kailali district started stinking after a pastor in the locality assured the family of the deceased that the deceased would resurrect with his pra Read More...

30 rape cases in 4 years in Darchula

DARCHULA, AUGUST 5 Darchula, the district in Sudurpaschim state, reported 30 cases of rape and attempted rape against women and girls in the past four years. According to Darchula District Police Office, most perpetrators are from within the circles of families, relatives and are known to the Read More...

Facebook, Twitter pull Trump posts over coronavirus misinformation

Facebook Inc on Wednesday took down a post by US President Donald Trump, which the company said violated its rules against sharing misinformation about the coronavirus. The post contained a video clip, from an interview with Fox & Friends earlier in the day, in which Trump claimed that ch Read More...

US steps up campaign to purge 'untrusted' Chinese apps

WASHINGTON: The Trump administration said on Wednesday it was stepping up efforts to purge "untrusted" Chinese apps from US digital networks and called the Chinese-owned short-video app TikTok and messenger app WeChat "significant threats." US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said expanded US efforts Read More...

61 per cent of industries totally shut during the lockdown

KATHMANDU, AUGUST 5 Sixty-one per cent of industries across the country remained completely shut during almost four-month-long lockdown imposed by the government from March 24 to contain the spread of the coronavirus, as per a study report on impact of COVID-19 released by the Nepal Rastra Bank ( Read More...