Kathmandu, November 17:
Personal Representative of UN Secretary General Kofi Annan in Nepal, Ian Martin, today said that the tripartite discussion â€” to reach an agreement between the United Nations, the government and Maoists â€” has stalled after the visit of cantonment sites in three districts.
He said that his office has reached an agreement with the government and the Maoists on the proposed cantonment sites in Ilam and Sindhuli, while the proposed site in Kavre district is yet to be agreed upon, and the rest are yet to be visited.
â€œSo far as cantonment sites are concerned, the first three visited were Ilam, Sindhuli and Kavre and there was an agreement on the sites proposed to Ilam and Sindhuli,â€ said Martin at a press conference held today.
He added: â€œAfter the visit of sites, the tripartite discussion could not proceed much, I cannot say definitely on the remaining sites.â€
The Secretary Generalâ€™s Representative also said that the Secretary General received the letter written by the government of Nepal on the recent Baluwatar agreement yesterday.