Kaski man, his infant son die of asphyxiation

POKHARA: Two persons of a same family died of asphyxiation in Lekhanath Municipality of Kaski on Saturday night.

Another woman fell unconscious and is undergoing treatment at the West Regional Hospital, Pokhara. The doctors said she, too, is critical.

Indra Prasad Adhikari (45) and his wife Sabitri (35) had made a fire in their room in Gagangaunda, Lekhanath-12, last night so as to keep their seven-month-old child warn throughout night.

However, the same fire claimed the man and the child.

The couple had closed the door and all windows of their room made of zinc sheets to prevent cold. The closure, however, also prevented the smoke from exiting the room and it was proved fatal for them.

After they did not wake up till 9 am today, some neighbours had requested police to look into the matter.

A team from a local police post immediately reached their room just to find the infant already dead and his parents unconscious, Kaski District Police Office spokesperson DSP Gajusiddhi Bajracharya said.

The couple were rushed to the hospital, but Indra Prasad breathed his last while undergoing treatment, according to police.