UNMIN informed of Maoists’ move
Kathmandu, September 18:
The CPN-Maoist today informed the United Nations Mission in Nepal (UNMIN) that its ministers have submitted their resignations from the government.
UNMIN Spokesperson Kieran Dwyer said the UN body expects that the talks between the eight parties would continue.
He also said that the UN Mission in Nepal has urged the eight parties to intensify efforts to find a way out of the current impasse at the earliest by keeping in mind the possible negative outcomes of the recent withdrawal from the government by the Maoists to the country’s ongoing peace process. All parties should not only respect existing agreements, but redouble their efforts to ensure they are effectively implemented in the spirit of last year’s People’s Movement and the aspiration of Nepali people for both peace and democracy, he said.
UNMIN has called on the Maoist leadership to observe its commitments to keep the Maoist army in cantonments across the country and that it not be mobilised for political protests.
The UNMIN has expressed its deep concern about the continued violence in the Tarai.
It has also appealed to all for calm and tolerance across the diverse communities in the region.
All eight parties should do their best to ensure the situation does not further deteriorate, he said.
The UNMIN has also appealed to all political parties, organisations, civil society members and international communities to assist ins the upcoming Constituent Assembly elections.