Victim of Terai unrest succumbs to injuries

Birgunj, January 29:

Fifty-five-year-old Mahabir Shah of Birgunj, who was thrashed by the cops during a demonstration by the Madhesi Janaadhikar Forum activists yesterday, succumbed to injuries while undergoing treatment today.

District Administration Office has provided Rs 10,000 to his family to perform the last rites. Chief District Officer Shambhu Koirala said the Home Ministry would be asked to provide more money to the bereaved family as compensation. Shah was cremated at Ranighat this evening.

Meanwhile, MJF activists defied the curfew order and continued their protests. The protesters vandalised the Nepal Telecom’s regional directorate office at Birgunj. The armed police force fired tear gas shells to disperse the mob. Two protesters were injured in clashes with cops.

Effigies of Maoist chairman Prachanda and Home Minister Krishna Prasad Sitaula were burnt at Bahuarwabhatha, Langadi and Bhiswa.

Local administration imposed a nine-hour curfew from 10 am in Birgunj, Sirsiya Khalwa Tola and Ramgadhwa VDC areas today.

In Rautahat, MJF and eight parties jointly organised a peace rally. The participants said the regressive forces had sneaked into the Madhesi rights movement to create anarchy.

The local administration clamped curfew from 9 am to 7 pm today as protests had been on since the morning.

The protesters obstructed cops from coming out of district police office compound.

In Janakpurdham, a rally was taken out at the call of Joint Youth Struggle Committee from Barhabigha Maidan defying the curfew that was effective from 8 am. CPN (UML) also held a rally during the curfew.

Six persons were hurt in clashes with cops. President of the Dalit Workers’ Peasants Party Bimal Adgadiya Yadav went on fast-unto-death at Janak Chowk for the cause of the Madhesis.

Normalcy was gradually returning in Kalaiya, where curfew was clamped from 8 am to 9 pm today.

Last rites of 15-year old Jamir Alam, who was killed in police shootout, were performed at Bara’s Feta VDC today.

In Biratnagar, Madhesis placed blocked roads by burning tyres. The protesters also manhandled a staffer of Biratnagar Customs Office, Parashuram Pokhrel, at Biratnagar’s Malayaroad, when he was going to the office this morning. His motorcycle was torched.