Youth leader shot dead in Kapilvastu

Bhairahawa, November 24

A 30-year-old youth leader Dipendra Kumar Chaudhary was shot dead by an unidentified group at Siwalawa of Suddhodhan Rural Municipality-4, Kapilvastu, last night.

Chaudhary had contested the last provincial and local level polls as an independent candidate.

District Police Office, Kapilvastu, said Chuadhary was shot at while he was on his way home from the market.

Deputy Superintendent of Police Rabi Rawal said Chaudhary had received a bullet in his right temple and breathed his last while being rushed to hospital for treatment. His body has been kept at Bhairahawa Medical College for post-mortem.

Police recovered three spent cartridges and a motorbike from the incident site and arrested two suspects for investigation. “We have expedited a search for the culprits,” Superintendent of Police Achyut Prasad Pudasaini said.

Meanwhile, issuing press statements, various social and human rights organisations have condemned the incident and demanded immediate arrest of the culprits behind the murder.

After Chaudhary’s murder, irate locals set the house of Ramakant Pandey on fire at Labani of Suddhodhan  Rural Municipality. Chaudhary’s supporters and relatives accused Pandey’s son of murdering Chaudhary and sprinkled petrol on Pandey’s home, a tractor, a harvest machine before setting them ablaze.

Nepali Army and Armed Police Force personnel were deployed to guard a petrol pump owned by Pandey after locals threatened to set the pump ablaze. The situation is now under control, said SP Pudasaini. The agitating locals have demanded immediate arrest of the culprits and  compensation for the victim’s family. Chaudhary is survived by his wife, son and daughter.

Chaudhary had come to limelight after he contested for the seats of member of Provincial Assembly from Kapilvastu Constituency-1 Kha and chair of Suddodhan Rural Municipality as an independent candidate. He, however, was defeated in both polls. He was popular in his locality as Baburaja. His death has left the village in mourning.