Akhtar, Asif decide against testing of ‘B’ sample
Lahore, October 27:
Pakistan bowlers Shoaib Akhtar and Mohammad Asif will not challenge results of a doping test that forced them out of the ongoing Champions Trophy, a senior official said today.
The pair declined, when asked at a tribunal hearing their case, if they wanted their ‘B’ samples examined after their first ones tested positive for a banned drug, tribunal chief Shahid Hamid said. The tribunal, which also includes former captain Intikhab Alam and doping expert Waqar Ahmed, is probing their case after they tested positive for banned performance enhancing steroid nandrolone. The results prompted Pakistan to withdrew both from their Champions Trophy squad in India last week.
“Akhtar and Asif have accepted the results of the dope tests and when we offered them to have tests on their B samples they refused to have another test,” Hamid said.
The pair earlier on Friday gave statements to the tribunal which was appointed by the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) to investigate the scandal. The tribunal, which meets again on Saturday, is expected to submit its findings in two weeks.
“We offered both the players to have retests on B samples which they declined, which implies that they are not questioning their failed dope tests,” Hamid said. “They had explained their point of view and we are now going to take medical opinion to examine the situation,” said Hamid, who has summoned two doping experts for Saturday’s hearing.
When asked whether the players have admitted taking banned drugs, Hamid refused to comment. The panel also on Friday recorded statements from PCB’s chief medical officer Sohauil Saleem.