Barca to sign Henrik Larsson
Barcelona, June 29:
Sweden striker Henrik Larsson’s move to FC Barcelona is on the point of completion, the club said on Tuesday. Barcelona’s Web site said Larsson will undergo a medical later that day and will be unveiled on Wednesday at the Camp Nou stadium. “The Swedish player Henrik Larsson will undergo a medical examination as the prior step to signing a contract to join FC Barcelona,” the club said. Larsson, who bowed out of Euro 2004 on Saturday when Sweden lost on penalties to the Netherlands, will become Barcelona’s third summer signing. Monaco’s France midfielder Ludovic Giuly was presented on Monday, while Villarreal’s Brazil right back Juliano Belletti joined last week.
Larsson, who scored three goals in Euro 2004, left Celtic last month following a prolific seven years in which he scored 240 goals. Capped 78 times, he won the Golden Boot award bestowed on Europe’s top scorer in 2001. Barcelona turned to the 32-year-old after failing in its attempt to lure Juventus’ marksman David Trezeguet. The France striker said Monday has signed an improved contract with the Italian powerhouse. Barcelona is expected to create room for Larsson by offloading Netherlands’ Patrick Kluivert. The club has reportedly approved Kluivert’s transfer to Atletico de Madrid, although the striker has still to agree personal terms.