DELHI: After being restricted to a modest 114-6, hosts Delhi Daredevils came out spitting venom to dismiss the Cape Cobras for 84 — the lowest score in the competition — to win the Champions League Twenty20 match by 30 runs.
With just 115 runs to defend, Daredevils captain Gautam Gambhir sprung a surprise when he handed the new ball to Tillekaratne Dilshan. The move seemed to pay instant rewards when the off spinner dismissed Herschelle Gibbs with his second delivery. Cobras skipper and opener Andrew Puttick (six) too was beaten by one which kept low and lost his off stump.
Henry Davids made a patient 22 before Pradeep Sangwan ran him out. The usually aggressive duo of JP Duminy and Justin Ontong too struggled. Duminy crawled to 14 from 20 balls, before he was castled by Mishra, while Ontong (9) had his stumps uprooted by Dilshan.
With the required rate climbing all the time, the rest of the Cobras batsmen took a few risks but fell like dominoes. From 71-5, the Cobras lost their remaining five wickets for just 13 runs. Dirk Nannes finished with 3-19 while Mishra (2-19), Dilshan (2-16) and Yogesh Nagar (2-9) claimed two wickets apiece.
Earlier, Owais Shah’s 39 was chiefly responsible in propelling his team to a respectable total of 114-6. The Daredevils were pushed on the backfoot very early when Rory Kleinveldt struck twice in the second over, dismissing openers Dilshan (one) and Gambhir. Manoj Tiwary (19) and Dinesh Karthik (23) were involved in a 40-run partnership before Tiwary lost his off stump trying to sweep Claude Henderson.
Karthik was dismissed soon after, when he was involved in a mix-up with Owais Shah. Shah, who walked out in the ninth over, consumed 38 balls, hit two fours and a six, and batted through to the end. Kleinveldt and Ontong were the most successful bowlers for the Cobras, returning with two wickets each, while Henderson accounted for Tiwary.
This defeat means the Cobras finish second in League B and
will take on Trinidad and
Tobago in the second semi-final at Hyderabad.