Farwest extends deal with Nepal Ice

Kathmandu, December 29

Farwest-XI Sports Club and Chaudhary Group today extended the sponsorship deal for the third Nepal Ice International Farwest Khaptad Gold Cup Football Tournament here today.

Club President Suresh Hamal and Senior General Manager of CG Brewery Pradeep Pudasaini signed the memorandum of understanding. Both the parties declined to reveal the sponsorship amount but Pudasaini said the company was happy to extend the deal and that Nepal Ice would be the title sponsor of the tournament.

A total of 12 teams — including one from India — will take part in the biggest event in terms of cash prizes. The champions will be richer by Rs 2.1 million, while the runners-up will get one million rupees. The player of the tournament will get a Yamaha motorcycle, while the other best individuals will get Rs 15,000 each. Man-of-the-match award winner in all games will receive Rs 10,000.

Pudasaini hoped the sponsorship would help in the development of football in Farwest region. “We have again joined hands with the tournament and we hope to do so in the years to come as well,” said Pudasaini.

Farwest Club President Hamal thanked the sponsors for their generous support. “At a time when no one was interested in helping us to organise the maiden Gold Cup tournament in our region, we got the support from Chaudhary Group,” he added.

A Division outfits, Ruslan Three Star Club, Nepal Police Club, CMG Sankata Club, Nepal APF Club and Chyasal Youth Club have already confirmed their participation in the tournament.

Regarding the absence of defending champions Tribhuvan Army Club, Hamal said the Club’s executive committee meeting decided not to invite the club in this edition. “We hosted the tournament successfully last year and we gave our best in providing the best hospitality to all the teams including the TAC. We have so much respect for them but the TAC players thrashed our boys in the Rajarshi Janak Gold Cup after they fell behind in the final. So, we decided to ban TAC for one year from the tournament and did not send invitation to them,” he added.

The venue had turned into battlefield after Farwest took 2-1 lead over TAC in the 69 minutes and the organisers could not continue the match.

Farwest were declared the champions of the tournament after the TAC did not turn up for the match the next day.