Tevez cleared to play

LONDON: Carlos Tevez will play for West Ham on Saturday against relegation rival Wigan. West Ham was given permission by the Premier League to select Tevez after making changes to the Argentina striker’s contract. The London club was fined $11 million on Friday for breaking league rules on third-party ownership in the August 2006 transfers of Tevez and Argentina midfielder Javier Mascherano. Mascherano is not in the same situation as Tevez because he moved to Liverpool in January under a new contract approved by the Premier League. — AP

Vidal in Leverkusen

SANTIAGO: Teenage Chile defender Arturo Vidal will move from Colo Colo to German club Bayern Leverkusen in a deal valued at $7.7 million. Colo Colo manager Gabriel Ruiz-Tagle described the transfer price as “the highest in Chilean soccer history,” considering that Leverkusen bought only 70 per cent of the rights over the player. Colo Colo retains the other 30 per cent. Vidal’s total value was agreed at $11 millions. He will play for Leverkusen for four years. “I never thought this would come so soon,” Vidal, 19, said after the transfer was confirmed. — AP

Boro begin recruiting

LONDON: Middlesbrough chief executive Keith Lamb has promised that manager Gareth Southgate will be able to add to his £7million capture of Jonathan Woodgate this summer. Boro started their recruitment programme on Friday when they announced the England defender had signed a permanent four-year contract. In addition, talks are ongoing with striker Mark Viduka over a new deal for when his current one expires at the end of the season. However, Lamb revealed Southgate would still be able to add to his squad even if the Australian stays, although to what extent remains to be seen. — Agencies