UEFA decision on Drogba could take weeks
GENEVA: UEFA said Monday that Chelsea striker Didier Drogba might have to wait weeks for a disciplinary decision following his outburst during the club's Champions League tie against Barcelona.
A spokesman for European football's governing body told AFP that Drogba's case was likely to be reviewed by a regular meeting of UEFA's Control and Disciplinary body.
Chelsea are no longer involved in European competition this season and there is no urgency for a ruling, he explained.
"This can wait for a while." The next plenary meeting of the control body is scheduled for July 23.
Drogba faces potentially severe sanctions over his confrontation with Norwegian referee Tom Henning Ovreba after Barcelona's injury time goal sent the London side crashing out of the Champions League semi-final last Wednesday.
His case was further aggravated by him screaming into a television camera that the official had been a "fucking disgrace." UEFA said in a statement last week that it was examining both the referee's and the delegate's reports and was gathering additional evidence.
Meanwhile, a special meeting of UEFA's Control and Disciplinary Body on Monday afternoon was due to examine Manchester United's appeal against Darren Fletcher's Champions League Final suspension.
Fletcher was given a red card during his club's game against Arsenal, and would have to sit out the final against Barcelona in Rome on May 27 unless he wins the appeal.