Nepal | August 04, 2020

Iran’s Foreign Minister Zarif, architect of nuclear deal, resigns

Reuters
Share Now:

DUBAI: Iran’s Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif, the urbane, US-educated architect of its 2015 nuclear deal with world powers, announced his resignation unexpectedly on Monday on Instagram.

“Many thanks for the generosity of the dear and brave people of Iran and its authorities over the past 67 months. I sincerely apologise for the inability to continue serving and for all the shortcomings during my service. Be happy and worthy”, he wrote on his Instagram page jzarif_ir.

He gave no specific reasons for his decision. Unconfirmed media reports indicated he resigned over Syrian President Bashar al Assad’s visit to Tehran on Monday. Noting that Zarif was not pictured in any of the coverage of the visit, one online website said, “the foreign minister was not informed”.

Zarif played the lead role in striking the deal under which Iran agreed to curbs on its nuclear programme in return for the lifting of international financial sanctions.

He came under attack from anti-Western hardliners in Iran after the United States pulled out of the agreement last May and reimposed sanctions on Iran’s economy and its lifeblood oil industry that were lifted under the deal.

Assad made his first public visit to Iran since the start of Syria’s war in 2011 on Monday, meeting Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei and President Hassan Rouhani.

US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, in a post on Twitter, dismissed Zarif and Rouhani as “front men for a corrupt religious mafia.”

“Our policy is unchanged – the regime must behave like a normal country and respect its people”, Pompeo said.

A foreign ministry spokesman and spokesman for the Iranian mission to the United Nations, Alireza Miryousefi, confirmed the announcement of the resignation. There was no immediate word, however, on whether Rouhani would accept it.

Several lawmakers and politicians took to social media calling on the pragmatist Rouhani to reject the resignation, saying it would not serve national interests and would empower hardliners in Iran’s faction-ridden clerical establishment.

“GO TO HELL”

Born in 1960, Zarif lived in the United States from the age of 17 as a student in San Francisco and Denver, and subsequently as a diplomat to the United Nations in New York, where he served as Iranian ambassador from 2002-07.

He was appointed the minister of foreign affairs in August 2013 after Rouhani won the presidency in a landslide on a promise to open up Iran to the outside world.

Although Rouhani, as the president, is responsible for choosing ministers, Iran’s top authority Khamenei traditionally has the last say over the appointment of key ministers, including the foreign minister. Since taking charge of Iran’s nuclear talks with major powers in late 2013, Zarif has been summoned to parliament several times by hardline lawmakers to explain the negotiations.

Some hardliners even threatened Zarif with bodily harm after the nuclear deal was signed. Khamenei guardedly backed the deal, under which Iran agreed to curb its nuclear work.

In February 2014 he caused an uproar with public comments condemning the Holocaust and was subsequently summoned to parliament. Holocaust denial has been a staple of public speeches in Iran for decades.

A former commander of Iran’s hardline Revolutionary Guards Corps, Hassan Abbasi, said in a speech earlier this month he believed Iranian people would spit on Zarif and those officials who supported the nuclear pact with powers.

“Rouhani, Zarif and (parliament speaker Ali) Larijani, go to hell,” Abbasi said in the central city of Karaj, Iranian media reported.


Follow The Himalayan Times on Twitter and Facebook

Recommended Stories:

More from The Himalayan Times:

In Pictures: Silent Kumbheshwor mela on Janai Purnima

Lalitpur, August 03 The natural spring at the Kumbheshwor temple complex is believed to have originated from Gosaikunda Lake in Rasuwa district. It is also believed that taking a dip in the pond during Janai Purnima is same as doing so in Gosainkunda. On the occasion of Kumbeshwor Mela or Janai P Read More...

Resurgence of Covid-19 cases in Nepal as 418 new cases surface on Monday, tally reaches 20,750

KATHMANDU: As many as 418 new coronavirus infection cases have surfaced on Monday, taking the nationwide count to 20,750. The new infections were confirmed after testing 7,637 specimens through PCR method across the nation in the last 24 hours. As of today, 398,907 PCR tests have been carried out Read More...

Enough is Enough campaigner Iih hospitalised following health issues

KATHMANDU: Social activist and initiator of ‘Enough is Enough’ campaign, Iih, 26, who has been on fast-unto-feath satyagraha at Basantapur for 17 days, has been admitted to a hospital. Iih was taken to HAMS Hospital today after his health started deteriorating owing to over two-week-long stri Read More...

Over 116 villages at risk of being swept away by landslides in Bajura

BAJURA: More than 116 villages are at the risk of being swept away by landslides triggered by incessant rain in Bajura district. According to Bajura District Administration Office, the villages located in nine local levels of the district face imminent risk of landslides. Disaster Preparedness Read More...

India refutes reports on prohibition of Nepalis' 'illegal' entry to Kalapani, Lipulekh, Limpiyadhura and Gunji

KATHMANDU: Indian authorities in Uttarakhand have rejected the reports on India's correspondence with Nepal's Darchula District Administration Office seeking prohibition on entry of Nepalis to Kalapani, Limpiyadhura, Lipulekh and Gunji. Indian side Dharchula's Sub-District Magistrate Anil Kumar S Read More...

Nepal COVID-19 Update: 418 new cases, 358 recoveries recorded Monday

KATHMANDU: Nepal’s Health Ministry, in its regular press briefing, shared the latest updates on the coronavirus contagion from across the country, and government’s response to the health crisis. As of today, 398,907 tests through Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) method have been carried ou Read More...

Bodies of eight missing in Sindhupalchok landslide recovered

SINDHUPALCHOWK: Bodies of all eight people who had gone missing in a landslide that occurred in Melamchi Municipality of Sindhupalchok district on Sunday night have been recovered today. Police Inspector Phal Bahadur Tamang at Meamchi-based Area Police Office said that seven of the deceased were Read More...

Kathmandu Valley on Dipawali Laxmi Puja from Swayambhunath

Steady rise in COVID-19 cases in Kathmandu valley, 51 infections reported today

KATHMANDU: As many as 51 new cases of the coronavirus infection have been reported in Kathmandu valley on Monday, as per the information provided by the Ministry of Health and Population (MoHP) in its daily media briefing. Among the 51 cases, 43 hail from Kathmandu while five cases of transmissio Read More...