Mumbai blasts: Three held guilty
MUMBAI: An Indian court today found two Muslim men and a woman guilty in twin bombings that killed 52 people and wounded 100 in the country’s financial capital, Mumbai, six years ago.
Two taxis carrying explosives blew up within minutes of each other on August 25, 2003, at the Gateway of India, a popular tourist attraction on the waterfront, and at a busy shopping complex.
The bombings were one of the worst attacks in Mumbai’s history.
No one else has been charged.
Ashrat Shafiq Mohammed Ansari, Syed Mohammed Haneef Abdul Rahim and his wife Fahmeeda Syed Mohammed Haneef were arrested under India’s tough anti-terrorism law shortly after the attacks.
The charges against the three included murder, conspiracy to kill and damaging public property. They had pleaded not guilty.
Judge MR Puranic said the three would be sentenced in early August.
Ujjwal Nikam, the public prosecutor, said he will seek the death penalty for them. Three others had been arrested in connection with the attacks but were released without any charges being filed.