Nepal | September 26, 2020

Contractor halts work at Dhalkebar substation

Delay by Chinese company could affect NEA’s plan to end load shedding across country

Himalayan News Service
Share Now:
Kul Man Ghising, Nepal Electricity Authority

Interview with Kul Man Ghising, the Managing director of Nepal Electricity Authority at Ratnapark in Kathmandu on Sunday, September 25, 2016. Photo: Bal Krishna Thapa/ THT

Kathmandu, July 23

Nepal Electricity Authority (NEA) may face difficulty in eliminating load shedding from across the country as the Chinese contractor — Central China Power Grid International Economic and Trade Co Ltd — has been intentionally delaying work at Dhalkebar substation, which is a crucial project for Nepal-India electricity trade.

The contractor has halted works since last week, according to Radhesharan Mahato, project manager of Dhalkebar substation.

The same contractor of Dhalkebar substation was also working in Bharatpur-Bardaghat transmission line project. The NEA had terminated the contract of the transmission line project with the same contractor on June 5 citing delay in the project. Following the termination of Bharatpur-Bardaghat transmission line project, the contractor started showing dissatisfaction with NEA by delaying the works at the critical project, Dhalkebar substation, which was supposed to be completed by early 2017.

Nepal-India energy secretary level talks held in February had also taken into account that the project will be completed by August this year. The contractor has halted the works putting forward undue demands since last week. It has asked NEA to release the escalated cost, clear the site of Inaruwa substation where the same contractor is working, among others.

“The contractor had also sent a letter to NEA stating that it would terminate the contract if the demand was not fulfilled promptly,” as per NEA sources. NEA has already released half of estimated cost to the contractor. Especially for projects funded by World Bank, the executing agency has to release the payment for equipment to the contractor, after it submits the shipment order of the equipment.

“The contractors normally generate profit from the delivery of equipment despite low bidding for the field level works and they seem reluctant to complete the project works on time,” a high-level official at NEA told The Himalayan Times. “The NEA has also proposed to release 50 per cent of the payment for equipment only after the completion of works to make the contractor liable.”

As per the progress review of works done by NEA, it will take another five months for the contractor to complete the work at Dhalkebar substation if everything moves ahead smoothly.

The country will be able to import an additional 100 megawatts of electricity on top of the existing 145 megawatts from India after the Dhalkebar substation has been charged at 220 kV, which is critical to end load shedding, according to NEA officials.

As power demand is expected to hover around 1,500 megawatts in peak hours in winter this year, increasing import from India is vital for NEA for load management during the winter season. The power utility had announced that it would end load shedding across the country from Nepali New Year.

NEA Managing Director Kulman Ghising, however, said NEA will do its best to ensure regular electricity supply in major cities in this winter too. NEA had announced that it would eliminate the problem of load shedding through demand and supply side management, which includes distributing LED bulbs that consume less energy and increasing import from India. However, it seems unlikely that both the plans will materialise.

NEA has also been planning to enhance the capacity of the Dhalkebar substation to 400 kv by 2019 to enhance power cooperation between India and Nepal. However, the delay in completion of 220 kv substation could hit NEA’s plan to enhance the capacity of substation in the future.


Kulekhani III in limbo

KATHMANDU: Many NEA projects are not moving ahead within the desired timeframe as the contractors are delaying the works. The 14-megawatt Kulekhani III project, which was expected to be completed before the winter season this year will be affected as the electromechanical contractor of the Kulekhani project — Zhejiang Jialin — has halted the works since long citing that NEA has not settled its variation claims.


A version of this article appears in print on July 24, 2017 of The Himalayan Times.


Follow The Himalayan Times on Twitter and Facebook

Recommended Stories:

More from The Himalayan Times:

Perfection of Wisdom: Sacred texts of 'Pragya Paramita' inscribed in gold

KATHMANDU, SEPTEMBER 25 The holy book of 'Pragya Paramita' (Perfection of Wisdom) being inscribed in golden letters by guthi members for its preservation at the Golden Temple in Lalitpur on September 24, 2020. Thursday. The holy book contains transcriptions of Buddhist scriptures and is rewritten Read More...

Europe, UEFA

De Bruyne, Lewandowski, Neuer on UEFA player of the year shortlist

Kevin De Bruyne, Robert Lewandowski and Manuel Neuer have been short-listed for the UEFA men's Player of the Year award, European football's governing body said on Wednesday. Lewandowski guided Bayern Munich to their sixth Champions League title, finishing as the competition's top scorer with Read More...

COVID-19 pushes more children into poverty

KATHMANDU, SEPTEMBER 24 The number of children living in multi-dimensional poverty has soared to approximately 1.2 billion due to the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic, according to a new analysis published by UNICEF and Save the Children today. This is a 15 per cent increase in the number of ch Read More...

One buried to death, five missing in landslides

BHAIRAHAWA, SEPTEMBER 24 One person died and five others went missing in landslides at different places in Palpa this morning. In Surangdanda, ward 2 of Rambha Rural Municipality, Motisara Gaha, 27, died when a landslide buried his home. Similarly, in Phoksingkot of the same ward, five persons Read More...

In-person classes start in Sudurpaschim

DHANGADI, SEPTEMBER 24 Schools, which had remained shut for long due to the coronavirus pandemic, have started in-person classes in different districts of Sudurpaschim Province. The schools were closed for the last six months after the government imposed nationwide lockdown to stop the virus s Read More...

Students of public schools deprived of education

KATHMANDU, SEPTEMBER 24 Hundreds of students, mostly from public schools, across the country continue to be deprived of education due to lack of their access to electronic mediums like the internet, television and radio. The Ministry of Education has been encouraging educational institutions t Read More...

SAARC Council of Ministers holds virtual meeting

KATHMANDU, SEPTEMBER 24 Minister of Foreign Affairs Pradeep Kumar Gyawali urged member states of South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation to explore all viable options to hold the 19th SAARC Summit. Delivering his opening remarks at an informal meeting of the SAARC Council of Ministers Read More...