Washington, April 2 Chinese officials have missed their own March deadline to submit a new offer for a proposed investment treaty that would shrink the number of sectors closed to American investors, US officials and China trade watchers said on Friday. The lack of a new ‘negative list’ proposal could make it more difficult to complete the bilateral investment treaty negotiations with Beijing before President Barack Obama leaves office in January. “We did not receive a revised negative list from China this week,” a spokeswoman for US Trade Representative (USTR) Michael Froman said in a statement. “The negotiating teams are continuing to engage closely to work toward a high-standard bilateral investment treaty, as agreed by Presidents Obama and Xi in September last year.” That was when the last investment treaty proposals were exchanged between the two sides. US business groups have said that China wants to keep too many sectors of its economy off-limits to US investment, while Beijing has complained that the United States too often singles out Chinese companies and investors for national security reviews. Earlier, USTR spokeswoman had said a third negative list exchange would be an important milestone in the talks. “To facilitate further progress and the successful conclusion of the treaty, China will need to significantly narrow its proposed negative list and demonstrate a substantial liberalisation of the Chinese investment market, as well as addressing other key priorities.”