Nepal | September 22, 2020

House panel asks govt to disclose post-quake reconstruction plans

Himalayan News Service
Share Now:

Kathmandu, January 10

The Parliamentary Committee on Development has directed the government to disclose information on funds extended by development partners to execute post-quake reconstruction works, funding pledges made by donor agencies to support reconstruction efforts, and plans and proposals framed so far to utilise aid amount.

The committee has also directed various ministries to execute works related to reconstruction and rehabilitation in acoordinated and transparent manner, and formulate detailed work plans to rebuild public infrastructure and sites of cultural heritage damaged by earthquakes.

The tremors of April and May claimed around 9,000 lives and caused heavy destructions in 14 districts, including three in the Kathmandu Valley. The quakes also completely destroyed around 591,647 private houses, affected livelihoods of about 5.6 million workers and caused damage and losses worth around Rs 706.46 billion.

Today, over eight months have passed since the major quake of April 25 hit the country. Yet, the government has not been able to rebuild infrastructure damaged by the quakes and restore livelihoods of quake survivors due to delay in formation of the National Authority for Reconstruction (NAR).

The NAR, a powerful body which will oversee reconstruction activities, has now come into operation following the appointment of the CEO. But it is still in the phase of fulfilling vacant posts at the central office and preparing policies and guidelines to roll out reconstruction and rehabilitation works.

The NAR is currently conducting operation and management survey to get a complete picture on staff that it needs to hire to perform various duties. A meeting of the steering committee scheduled for Monday is expected to discuss this issue.

Also, the NAR is preparing an implementation strategy to carry out reconstruction works expeditiously.

Among others, the NAR is also conducting detail damage assessment of private houses destroyed by quakes. Once these assessments are complete, the NAR hopes to frame a National Reconstruction Guideline based on which all reconstruction works would be conducted.

The assessments are currently being done in Dolakha and Rasuwa.

In the next three weeks, these evaluations will be done in all the districts hit by quakes by mobilising 100 engineers and 100 community workers in each district, NAR told the parliamentary committee today, adding, “Within a month, reconstruction of private houses destroyed by quakes will gradually begin from village development committees where detail damage assessments have been completed.”

For this, the NAR has started training people who wish to take part in private house reconstruction works. Also, groundwork is being laid to provide on-the-job training to people who wish to work at house construction sites, the NAR said.

The NAR’s basic responsibility is to prepare reconstruction policies and mobilise financial resources to implement reconstruction projects. The reconstruction works will be rolled out by line ministries and bodies under them.


A version of this article appears in print on January 11, 2016 of The Himalayan Times.


Follow The Himalayan Times on Twitter and Facebook

Recommended Stories:

More from The Himalayan Times:

In Pictures: Lalitpur school provides internet facility to students sans access

Lalitpur, September 21 Teachers take online classes with internet facility provided by school at the empty classroom of Shree Rudrayanee Secondary School in Khokana, Lalitpur on Monday, September 21, 2020. The School has facilitated internet access to those students who cannot avail the same at h Read More...

Nepal COVID-19 Update: 1154 new cases, 1005 recoveries, 16 fatalities logged Monday

KATHMANDU: Nepal’s Health Ministry, in its regular press briefing, shared the latest updates on coronavirus contagion from across the country, and government’s response to the health crisis. Read Also: 674 more infections logged in Kathmandu valley, amounts to over 58pc of total new cases Read More...

Indian filmmaker Anurag Kashyap to pursue legal route against sexual misconduct allegations, actress Payal Ghosh to file FIR

KATHMANDU: Bollywood filmmaker Anurag Kashyap, who has been accused of sexual misconduct by budding actress Payal Ghosh, said he intends to pursue legal action while the actress has said she will file an FIR against him. Issuing a statement through his lawyer, Kashyap also said it was sad that a Read More...

Indian actress Richa Chadha initiates legal action after Payal Ghosh drags her name in #MeToo case against Anurag Kashyap

KATHMANDU: Bollywood actress Richa Chadha has revealed that she has initiated legal action against after her name was dragged in a defamatory in #MeToo case against filmmaker Anurag Kashyap by actress Payal Ghosh. In a video released to ABN Telugu, Ghosh claimed that Kashyap tried to harass her i Read More...

American actress Mindy Kaling finds Deepika Padukone, Sonam Kapoor talented, wants to work with them

KATHMANDU: Indian origin American actress Mindy Kaling wants to work with Bollywood actresses Deepika Padukone and Sonam Kapoor as she finds them talented. "I would love to work with Sonam Kapoor or Deepika Padukone. They're both so talented," Mindy was quoted as saying Read More...

Manchester City _Ilkay Gundogan

Man City's Gundogan tests positive for COVID-19

LONDON: Manchester City midfielder Ilkay Gundogan has tested positive for COVID-19, the Premier League club said on Monday, making him the third player in the squad to return a positive test in recent weeks. City winger Riyad Mahrez and defender Aymeric Laporte previously tested positive for the Read More...

Djokovic to face Schwartzman in Italian Open final

ROME: Novak Djokovic was made to work hard by Casper Ruud in blustery conditions before the world number one got past the unseeded Norwegian 7-5 6-3 on Sunday to reach the Italian Open final. The Serbian had to save two set points in the first set before finding his groove to reach his 10th title Read More...

Leicester go top, Liverpool claim second win as goals fly in

LONDON: Champions Liverpool and Leicester City maintained their winning starts to the Premier League on Sunday as the second weekend of the new season produced a goal-rush. Sadio Mane scored twice just after the break to give Liverpool a 2-0 victory at Chelsea who played half the game with 10 men Read More...