Fire breaks out in Taleju Temple premises in Bhaktapur

KATHMANDU: A fire broke out in the premises of Taleju Temple in Bhaktapur on Wednesday afternoon, the Rastriya Samachar Samiti reported.

Wooden beams, racks and utensils were destroyed in the incident, according to Punyaram Suwal who is the chief of Suwal Ghar. The fire originated from the Suwal Ghar at Jiswanchok and spread to the neighbouring courtyard -- Jahunchok.

The site is situated in the Bhaktapur Darbar Square which is one of the UNESCO World Heritage Sites in the Kathmandu Valley.

It is suspected that electric short-circuit caused the fire. Offerings are cooked at the Suwal Ghar, which lies south of the temple, every morning, according to the RSS.

Security personnel of Nepal Army and Nepal Police and fire brigade in Bhaktpur contained the fire according to Inspector Dil Bahadur Subed Inspector at the Metropolitan Police Range, Bhaktapur.