Nepal | June 05, 2020

Many women opting for unsafe abortion

Himalayan News Service
Share Now:

Kathmandu, December 25

The government provides safe abortion service free of cost across the country through various health facilities. However, data show that many women are not taking this service due to lack of awareness and to keep the matter a secret.

Karuna (name changed), a 26-year-old woman from Mugu, got pregnant for the fifth time. She already has four daughters. Considering her poor financial condition, she decided to go for abortion. But, she prioritised secrecy over safety and thus reached Kathmandu traveling a long way. She had to spend around Rs 80,000, including transport fare, medical bills, and food and lodging expenses. She is facing health complications after abortion as she did not have any idea about safe abortion centres.

There are many other women live Karuna, who hesitate to talk about pregnancy and abortion. Due to this, many women land up at wrong places for abortion.

Dhana Basnet, a nurse at Family Welfare Division, informed that 1,200 health centres and hospitals, including private health centres across the country, provide free abortion service, but women do not visit the nearby health centres fearing disrepute.

According to a study conducted by Centre for Research on Environment Health and Population Activities in 2017, 42 per cent abortions were conducted at government-approved health facilities and the remaining 58 per cent  were illegal and carried out by untrained health workers.

This huge percentage of unsafe abortions accounts for the large proportion of unsafe abortion-related deaths and injuries.

 


A version of this article appears in print on December 26, 2018 of The Himalayan Times.


Follow The Himalayan Times on Twitter and Facebook

Recommended Stories:

More from The Himalayan Times:

Traders defy lockdown as patience runs thin in Nepal

Durbar Marg shops to open from today Other traders, businesses also defiant KATHMANDU, JUNE 3 With no end in sight to the nationwide lockdown imposed on March 24 that has effectively halted all economic activities for the past two-and-a-half months, traders, firms and industries have be Read More...

Mahakali Hospital isolation ward filled with COVID-19 patients

KANCHANPUR: At least fifteen COVID-19 patients have been admitted to the isolation ward of Mahakali Hospital in Bhimdattanagar Municipality, Kanchanpur district. The isolation ward has a capacity of 20 beds. The hospital has started treatment of COVID-19 since Tuesday. Seven persons — reside Read More...

The office of the prime minister and council of ministers, OPMCM

Evacuation of Nepalis likely to begin Friday

KATHMANDU, JUNE 3 After the plan to evacuate stranded Nepali citizens from several countries was approved by the Cabinet a few days ago, the government is gearing up to bring them home on priority basis from Friday. Narayan Bidari, secretary at the Office of the Prime Minister and Council of M Read More...

Home isolation for asymptomatic, mild Covid cases

KATHMANDU, JUNE 3 The Ministry of Health and Population has directed hospitals to send home patients infected with the novel coronavirus who show mild or no symptom of the disease so that hospitals can treat severe cases of COVID-19. Hospitals treating COVID-19 patients have also been told to Read More...

Nepal govt may declare state of public health emergency as coronavirus cases rise steadily

KATHMANDU: The Ministry of Health and Population is mulling over proposing to the Council of Ministers to declare state of public health emergency in the country following a surge in the number of COVID-19 cases in the country. Section 48 (2) of the Public Health Service Act states that if public Read More...

COVID-19 curve flattening in Narainapur

NEPALGUNJ, JUNE 3 The COVID-19 spread seems to have come under control in Narainapur Rural Municipality, Banke, which had emerged as a coronavirus hotspot after a number of people tested positive for the virus here earlier. According to the district’s corona focal person Naresh Shrestha, it Read More...

Frontline workers to get hazard allowance

KATHMANDU, JUNE 3 The Government of Nepal has published ‘Hazard Allowance Management Order for Human Resources Involved in the Treatment of COVID-19 Infection’ in Nepal Gazette for its implementation. The order aims to provide hazard allowance to the human resources involved in the identif Read More...

Kathmandu Medical College sealed

KATHMANDU, JUNE 3 Kathmandu Medical College Teaching Hospital in Sinamangal has been shut for an indefinite period after two of its health workers contracted COVID-19. The hospital’s Medical Director Dr Mukunda Raj Joshi issuing a notice today, informed that the hospital would be closed for Read More...