Nepal | July 06, 2020

SC stays govt decision to spend billions

Ram Kumar Kamat
Share Now:

Supreme Court of Nepal. Photo: THT/File

Kathmandu, January 14

The Supreme Court today stayed the government’s decision to spend up to Rs 10 billion under Constituency Infrastructure Programme and Constituency Development Programme.

A division bench of Justices Sarada Prasad Ghimire and Ishwar Prasad Khatiwada passed the order responding to a petition filed by newly elected CPN-UML lawmaker Jhapat Bahadur Rawal. He was elected from Kailali’s Constituency No 2.

According to Rawal’s lawyer Advocate Tikaram Bhattarai, the court passed an order telling the government not to execute the directive of the Ministry of Federal Affairs and Local Development issued on December 31 to district technical offices to implement all programmes under Constituency Infrastructure Programme and Constituency Development Programme sanctioned by October 14, the day the tenure of the Parliament ended.

The Election Commission had stopped implementation of the two programmes on October 29, stating that continuation of the programmes would violate the election code of conduct.

The petitioner argued that since people had elected new representatives they should have the authority to spend on development programmes in constituencies and not others.

“If the government’s decision is implemented, the newly elected representatives will be deprived of participation in the development programmes,” the petitioner argued.

The petitioner argued that the government’s decision to run the two programmes was illegal, as the interim constitution had created 240 electoral districts, while according to the    new constitution there were 165 electoral districts.

“Former lawmakers do not have the authority to monitor and evaluate these programmes. They cannot participate in these programmes.

“If this letter is executed at a time when (old) electoral districts have been dissolved, it will be a misuse of taxpayers’ money,” the petitioner argued.

The petitioner also argued that the government’s effort to carry out the two development programmes with the help of district technical offices was contrary to the concept of restructured state and development.

The petitioner has demanded repeal of the letter issued on December 31 by MoFALD.

He has also demanded that an order of prohibition be issued against the government to bar it from carrying out the two programmes till a new government is formed and the newly elected representatives take oath of office and secrecy.

MoFALD Secretary Dinesh Kumar Thapaliya said not even 10 per cent of the fund meant for the two programmes was spent this fiscal.

Thapaliya said his ministry had sought the opinion of the Ministry of Law which said it could carry out the two programmes that were approved by October 14, prompting his ministry to initiate the process of running those programmes.

Thapaliya said questions were raised in the court and in the annual report of auditor general about the programmes and since Nepal adopted federalism giving authority to local levels to carry out development programmes, the existing rules and regulations of the two programmers had to be reviewed.

A government source said such programmes should be carried out by local levels that are elected bodies and not by district technical offices, which are unelected bodies.

 


A version of this article appears in print on January 15, 2018 of The Himalayan Times.


Follow The Himalayan Times on Twitter and Facebook

Recommended Stories:

More from The Himalayan Times:

Nepal's Covid-19 death-toll at 34, five fatalities recorded in the last six days

KATHMANDU: Nepal has recorded 34 coronavirus related fatalities so far with five deaths logged in the last six days. Nepal had recorded the first-ever death attributed to the contagion on May 14. A 29-year-old new mother from Bahrabise Municipality of Sindhupalchowk died with coronavirus. Mini Read More...

Baglung man who died inside quarantine facility diagnosed with Covid-19

POKHARA: A 29-year-old who died on Saturday night in Dhorpatan Municipality-4 of Baglung has been confirmed to have contracted COVID-19. A PCR test conducted at State Tuberculosis Centre in Pokhara confirmed his infection hours after his death, informed  Suraj Gurau, Chief of the Health Office, Read More...

Mikel Arteta

Arsenal learning to suffer to win, says Arteta

LONDON: Mikel Arteta believes Arsenal's willingness to "suffer" will bring the good times back to the north London club. His side's 2-0 win at in-form Wolverhampton Wanderers on Saturday was arguably the best result since Arteta replaced Unai Emery in December and put them seventh in the Pre Read More...

Japan floods leave up to 34 dead, many at nursing homes

TOKYO: Deep floodwaters and the risk of more mudslides that left at least 34 people confirmed or presumed dead hampered search and rescue operations Sunday in southern Japan, including at elderly home facilities where more than a dozen died and scores were still stranded. Helicopters and boats re Read More...

Nepal's Covid-19 tally nears 16k as 293 cases surface on Sunday

KATHMANDU: With the confirmation of 293 new cases, Nepal's coronavirus infection tally has reached 15,784 on Sunday. Likewise, 132 recoveries were reported by the Ministry of Health and Population, which has taken the total number of recoveries in the country to 6547. Read Also: Over 3000 Covi Read More...

Indians keep their distance in mass tree planting campaign

LUCKNOW: More than 2 million people gathered Sunday at river banks, farmlands and government buildings in northern India while trying to practice social distancing to plant 250 million trees as part of a government plan to tackle climate change. Officials in Uttar Pradesh distributed millions of Read More...

Kathmandu Valley

30 new Covid-19 cases surface in Kathmandu valley on Sunday, tally nears 200

KATHMANDU: With the detection of 30 additional cases, Kathmandu valley's coronavirus infection tally has neared 200 on Sunday. The Ministry of health and population confirmed that 27 cases had surfaced in the capital city in the last 24 hours while, Lalitpur and Bhaktapur reported two and one cas Read More...

2 dead, 8 hurt in South Carolina nightclub shooting

GREENVILLE: A shooting at a South Carolina nightclub left two people dead and eight wounded, a sheriff's official said. Two Greenville County sheriff's deputies noticed a disturbance at Lavish Lounge just before 2 a.m., and saw a large crowd running out of the building, Sheriff Hobart Lewis said Read More...