A decade later, landslide victims still deprived of relief
Dadeldhura, December 27
Nar Bahadur Bohara, 50, of Parshuram Municipality, who lost eight members of his family along with his house and property in a landslide in 2005, has yet to receive the relief he is entitled to in Dadeldhura.
Around 60 families of the locality were displaced after the disaster struck Dadeldhura.
Two years after the calamity, 35 other households were displaced in another landslide and they have been taking shelter in a forest ever since.
Tilak Adhikari, said though the process of purchasing land for victims had almost reached final stage last year, it failed to materialise due to government apathy. “The government had allocated insufficient budget for the same,” regretted Adhikari. He accused officials of Urban Development Division Office Dipayal of delaying the process.
Meanwhile, Inner Madhes flood victims’ struggle committee Coordinator Prajapati Nath accused the Urban Division Land Reform and Fund and Account Control Office of not providing necessary budget for relief.
“As the District Forest Office has written to the victims asking them to vacate the forest, there is no option but to stage a sit-in in front of District Administration Office and demand completion of the project pronto,” he said.
Chief District Officer Prem Prasad Luintel pledged to take necessary initiatives to rehabilitate the victims and demand necessary budget to rehabilitate them.
Prakash Rajbanshi, Chief of Urban Division Office, said they required cooperation from other agencies, besides Ministry of Finance for the same.