KATHMANDU, FEBRUARY 5
A target has been set to complete head works under the Melamchi Water Supply Project within two months.
Though the head works had to be completed within December 2020, it was delayed due to the coronavirus pandemic. Information Officer of the project, Rajendra Prasad Panta, said they had failed to complete the works on the slated time due to the disruption of works caused by COVID-19.
He said the head works were being expedited and would be completed within mid-April. Panta further said some works related to electricity had yet to be completed, adding that the construction of head works had been delayed due to the lack of sufficient number of human resources and materials since April 2020.
Locals had stopped the movement of goods-carrying vehicles citing the risk of possible spread of coronavirus infection. "Though the construction works were not completely halted, it was slow during the period," he said.
Construction of the tunnel has now been completed under the project that had started two decades ago.
The government in 2018 had signed contract agreement to complete the remaining works after the Italian Construction Company, CMC left the project unattended.
A version of this article appears in the print on February 6, 2021, of The Himalayan Times.