CHITWAN: A man was killed when a fire broke out in a house at Amanchok of Bharatpur Sub-Metropolitan City in the district on Tuesday.

The deceased has been identified as a local Bir Bahadur Kumal (55), police said.

According to the Chitwan District Police Office, a short circuit induced the fire causing the loss of property worth around Rs 150,000.

Meanwhile, Kumal's body has been kept at the Bharatpur Hospital.

The fire that started at around midnight yesterday was doused with joint efforts from police personnel, locals and a fire engine.