No justice for Badarmudhe blast victims
Chitwan, June 6
Though 12 years have passed since then CPN-Maoist insurgents bombed a bus that killed 38 passengers in Badarmudhe on 6 June 2005, the victims and their families still have not received justice.
The explosion at Badarmudhe left 72 others critically injured. The bomb exploded in the bus en route to Narayangadh from Ayodhyapuri of Madi.
Four of the injured died later in the course of treatment. Ganga Bahadur Gurung, a victim of the explosion, died after two years, Chunu KC after four years, Nara Hari Sapkota died one-and-a-half year later while Narayan Datta Poudel succumbed to injuries after three years. Six minors lost their lives while seven minors, who were injured, are still struggling for life.
The country witnessed big political transformation in the twelve years period. Then rebellious party supremo Pushpa Kamal Dahal became the country’s PM for two terms. However, the victims of the heart-rending incident are yet to receive relief and support for their treatment. Though the incident was taken as an example of extreme human rights violation, it has not been probed so far.
Krishna Adhikari, Vice-chair of Badarmudhe Struggle Committee, demanded a fair probe and stern action against the guilty. He said the guilty should be punished as per international law, as it was a blatant violation of human rights. According to him, the families of the deceased obtained Rs 5 lakh per head and only 18 persons with injuries were provided minimum relief. Some of the victims are still undergoing treatment while some are suffering from mental disorder.
The victims of the incident had filed a joint complaint with the Truth and Reconciliation Commission seeking a probe a year ago.
“However, their plea has fallen on deaf ears though one year has passed,” said Adhikari. He added that despite the passage of 12 years, the persons who were involved in
the incident have not been made public.
- Memorial dedicated to blast victims