Panchthar child dies after consuming yam, 4 taken ill

PHIDIM: A boy died and four others fell sick after consuming a kind of yam in Panchami of Panchthar district on Wednesday.

Sabin Bhujel (10) died today after consuming yam in his maternal uncle's house yesterday, police said.

While Sabin and his sister Sharmila had gone to visit their maternal uncle, they were served with boiled yam as a snack along with other neighbours Krishna Prasad, Manoj Khawas and Sagar Khawas on Tuesday afternoon.

Panchthar District Police Office said Sabin suddenly started vomiting at midnight and died on the way to a hospital in the wee hours of Wednesday.

Police added that Sharmila, Krishna Prasad and Khawas duo returned home after receiving treatment at Panchthar District Hospital.