Nepal | August 11, 2020

Australia says no collusion in decision to withdraw from 2020 Games

Reuters
Share Now:

MELBOURNE: The Australian Olympic Committee (AOC) has said its decision to pull out of the 2020 Tokyo Games was unilateral and made without the knowledge of Canada or the International Olympic Committee (IOC).

The AOC said last Monday it could not assemble a team for 2020 because of complications brought by the coronavirus, the announcement coming quickly after the Canada Olympic and Paralympic committees confirmed they would not send athletes.

The double-withdrawal prompted speculation that the two national Olympic committees may have acted in concert with the IOC to give the global body leverage to postpone Tokyo.

Canada on Friday denied any such arrangement, and the AOC followed suit on Monday.

“Any assertions that a decision by the Australian Olympic Committee (AOC) to tell its athletes to plan for a Tokyo Olympic Games in 2021 was done in concert with either the International Olympic Committee (IOC) or the Canadian Olympic Committee (COC) are completely incorrect,” the AOC said in a statement emailed to Reuters.

The AOC said its decision followed a sequence of events, which included the IOC’s announcement that the global body was conducting “scenario planning” for Tokyo, with postponement among the options.

The IOC’s announcement came a day after Australian authorities announced a slew of measures aimed at containing the coronavirus, including travel curbs and quarantine requirements at national and state borders.

“This meant our athletes could not continue their training programs,” the AOC said.

The effect of the government measures and the IOC’s scenario planning prompted a special meeting of the AOC’s executive board last Monday.

“The effect of these measures as outlined, informed the Executive’s conclusion that an Australian Olympic Team could not depart our shores for a Games at any time within the next six months, at least,” the AOC added.

“The AOC Executive considered it in the best interests of the health and safety of our athletes that they return to their homes and families as soon as possible, particularly as border closures were progressively being introduced.

“At no point were either the IOC or COC aware of, or involved in, this process.”

The IOC last Tuesday postponed the Olympics for a year after also coming under pressure from athletes, whose preparations had been disrupted.

The IOC is working with sports federations to clear a window for the Tokyo Games in the July-August of 2021, though officials have said all options are on the table.


Follow The Himalayan Times on Twitter and Facebook

Recommended Stories:

More from The Himalayan Times:

Opinion: Remain connected through the umbilical cord

Separating Sita from Ram, Janakpur from Ayodhya, and Kathmandu from Kashi is tantamount to severing the body from the soul In a stunning claim, Nepali Prime Minister KP Sharma Oli on July 13 said that Ayodhya, the ancient city believed by millions of Hindus to be the birthplace of Lord Ram, Read More...

South Asian Gastronomy Association launches 'Savestreetfood' campaign across SAARC countries amid COVID-19 crisis

KATHMANDU: The South Asian Association for Gastronomy (SAAG) has launched a campaign to 'Savestreetfood' across India, Sri Lanka, Nepal, Bangladesh, among others, in a bid to save food vendors affected by the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. SAAG, comprising of hospitality industry professionals, food Read More...

Three kids left stranded after mother goes missing in Doti  

A mother of three children has gone missing after her terminally ill husband passed away few months ago at Nara gaun in Sayal Rural Municipality-6 of Doti district. According to a local Deepak Bahadur Khati, the father of the three kids, Baji Khati, died some fifteen months ago. Now the mothe Read More...

Isolation ward set up

RAJBIRAJ, AUGUST 9 With the rise of COVID infection, Tilathi Koiladi Rural Municipality has brought an isolation ward with 100 beds into operation in the rural municipality of Saptari district. As many as 28 infected people are receiving treatment in the new isolation ward set up at Public Hig Read More...

Bank sealed after employees contract virus

LAHAN, AUGUST 9 Global IME Bank here has been sealed after an employee tested positive for coronavirus. Other employees at the bank have been kept in quarantine. The bank employee, a 34-year-old from Mahottari district, tested positive for COVID-19. Lahan Municipality’s health section Chi Read More...

Manang Village, Marshyangdi river, Gangapurna lake

COVID fear looms large with more people entering Manang

MANANG, AUGUST 9 The number of workers and employees entering Manang has increased after the nationwide lockdown against COVID-19 pandemic imposed since the night of July 21 was lifted. With increase in people’s movement leading to subsequent rise in infection rate and the death toll as well Read More...

Jhapa

Rural municipality in Jhapa imposes lockdown

JHAPA, AUGUST 9 Gauriganj Rural Municipality in Jhapa district has decided to impose lockdown for four days to curb the spread of COVID-19. A meeting of Gauriganj Rural Municipality Corona Emergency Work Operation Centre today took the decision to impose the lockdown from August 14 to 17. W Read More...

‘Ruling party lawmakers against provincial govt’

HETAUDA, AUGUST 9 Bagmati Province Chief Minister Dormani Poudel today claimed that lawmakers of the Provincial Assembly from his party were hatching a conspiracy against his government. Inaugurating Fifth Makawanpur District Assembly meeting of District Coordination Committee in Hetauda, CM P Read More...