Siddhi Ganesh Cup

KATHMANDU: Bhaktapur Municipality and Buddhist Youth Club entered the semi-finals of the Siddhi Ganesh Cup Bhaktapur District-wide Football Tournament,. which has been organised by Siddhi Ganesh Sports Committee, here today. In the day’s quarter-finals, Bhaktapur Municipality thrashed Jagaran Youth Group 6-2, and Buddhist Youth Club defeated Unique Group of Sanga 4-2. In Friday’s quiarter-finals, it’s: Uccha Sikhar vs Brihaspati and Kamal Club vs Bhaktapur Youth Football Team. — HNS

Tribhuvan Army Club win

KATHMANDU: Tribhuvan Army Club of Royal Nepalese Army beat Eastern Command’s Army ‘Red’ team of India 3-1 in a friendly match held in Kolkata. According to a RNA release issued here today, the TAC is also scheduled to play friendly matches against Lucknow’s Central Command Football Team and Army Green Football Team during it’s one-week tour. — HNS

Kapil Dev turns 46

NEW DELHI: Legendary cricketing all-rounder Kapil Dev turned 46 on Thursday, and his engagements included cutting a cake, attending a thalassaemia society function and a quiet dinner with his family and close friends. Kapil said he viewed his birthday as yet another day in his life. Asked how was he feeling, a smiling Kapil, India’s lone World Cup-winning captain, said the day did not seem much different from the previous day. “Well, I’m feeling one day older and one day younger,” he said. — HNS

Shoaib Akhtar opts out

SYDNEY: Pakistan fast bowler Shoaib Akhtar said he would not be playing in Monday’s all-star tsunami charity cricket match for Asia against a Rest of the World XI in Melbourne. The ‘Rawalpindi Express’ said he expects to be available for the tri-series against Australia and the West Indies late next week. Shoaib would have been one of the major drawcards for the star-studded Asian team, which features Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag, Rahul Dravid, Muttiah Muralitharan, Sanath Jayasuriya, Anil Kumble and a limited appearance by Sachin Tendulkar. — AP

Seven hooligans jailed

LONDON: Seven soccer hooligans were jailed for their part in post-match violence almost 11 months ago. The West Ham fans received sentences ranging from 10 months to a year. They were also banned for seven years from attending any soccer matches at home or abroad. The violence broke out after West Ham’s 1-0 home victory over Cardiff City on February 28. West Ham fans threw bottles, trash bins, stones and other objects at police and Cardiff supporters. — AP