Mahato plans to intensify protest in Tarai districts

Birgunj, September 18

Sadbhawan Party Chairman and member of United Democratic Madhesi Front Rajendra Mahato has been planning to form a new front to intensify the agitation in the Tarai.

Mahato, who came to Tarai after quitting the Constituent Assembly, had been expressing dissatisfaction over the modus operandi of UDMF for some time.

Last Monday, he had warned of forming a new alliance if the three major parties forcefully promulgated the new statute. Five days later, Mahato held a meeting at Birgunj-based Makalu Hotel to constitute a new front to intensify the protests in the Tarai.

He held talks with CPN-M’s Matrika Yadav, Tarai Madhes Jagaran Campaign’s Coordinator Jay Prakash Prasad Gupta for four hours today. “We are united in taking the agitations ahead,” Gupta said after the meeting.

Matrika Yadav said he has set single Madhes Pradesh, proportional representation electoral system, right to self determination, among others, as minimum criteria for collaboration and cooperation. It is said that the trio is working to bring on board UCPN-Maoist leaders Prabhu Sah and Ram Kumar Sharma, who had quit the Constituent Assembly.