Nepal | January 23, 2021

Govt awards Melamchi contract to Sinohydro

Chinese firm given one-year deadline from October 29 to complete remaining works

HIMALAYAN NEWS SERVICE
Share Now:

Kathmandu, September 29

The government has awarded the contract to complete the remaining construction works of Melamchi Water Supply Project to a Chinese company called Sinohydro. The Chinese firm has been given a deadline of 12 months to complete the works.

As per the agreement, the one-year deadline will start from October 29 and contractor company must finish all the remaining works of the Melamchi project by October 28, 2020.

Tiresh Prasad Khatri, executive director of Melamchi Water Supply Development Board, said if the contractor is able to complete the project before the deadline then government will provide it a bonus of Rs 1.27 million per day for each day before the deadline. “However, if contractor is unable to complete the project within the deadline, the contractor will pay a fine that is similar to the bonus that the government has planned.”

The project awarded to Sinohydro is worth Rs 850.02 million.

Though almost 95 per cent of physical works of Melamchi Water Project has been completed, a few works related to headworks and tunnel finishing, diversion tunnel, lining of audit tunnel and finishing touches of the tunnel are left, as per Khatri.

However, agreement to complete headworks of the project is yet to be signed. “We will soon sign the contract for construction of headworks with Sinohydro,” said Khatri. “In fact, it has already won the tender for the work with a bid of Rs 900 million.”

He further said that the contractor will build infrastructure related to the water intake aspect of the project and also work on improving the access road. Furthermore, it will also be responsible for the design and construction of the coffer dam, repair of the camp site and installation of flushing systems in the project.

As per Khatri, the government has segregated 10 different packages of the project of which eight small contracts have been given to the existing local contractors and the remaining two to Sinohydro.

The project has urged Sinohydro to construct remaining works by utilising the existing machines and equipment. “We have assured the company to provide necessary security and other coordination to complete the project on time,” informed Khatri.

Earlier, as per a request from Sinohydro, project had mobilised Armed Police Force personnel at five different points to provide security at the project site.

The project has been stalled since the Italian contractor Cooperativa Muratori e Cementisti (CMC) di Ravenna quit Melamchi without any valid reason in December last year.

READ ALSO:


A version of this article appears in print on September 30, 2019 of The Himalayan Times.


Follow The Himalayan Times on Twitter and Facebook

Recommended Stories:

More from The Himalayan Times:

NOC provides employment to acid attack survivors

KATHMANDU, JANUARY 21 Oil Corporation has provided jobs to two women who survived acid attack. The NOC provided the job for one year under its corporate social responsibility. The beneficiaries are Pabitra Karki from Okhaldhunga and Basanti Pariyar from Nawalparasi. They were provided jobs Read More...

United Nations urged to tell Nepal government to protect civic freedom

Physical attacks on journalists, rights activists continue to undermine civic space KATHMANDU, JANUARY 21 CIVICUS, the World Alliance for Citizen Participation, has called on UN member states to urge the Government of Nepal to double its efforts to protect civic freedom as its human rights recor Read More...

Ministry of Labour and Employment

Door opens for employment of Nepali youths in Israel

KATHMANDU, JANUARY 21 Implementation Protocol was signed between Nepal and Israel today for implementation of the agreement related to temporary employment of Nepali workers in the labour market of Israel. At a programme held at the Ministry of Labour, Employment and Social Security today, Dir Read More...

Youth association close to Oli shows support for government

RAJBIRAJ, JANUARY 21 At a time when protest against the controversial dissolution of the Parliament by Prime Minister KP Sharma Oli is spreading across the country, the ruling party’s sister wing National Youth Association Nepal organised a demonstration in support of the prime minister in Sapt Read More...

Basnet selected coordinator of Press Organisation

KATHMANDU, JANUARY 21 The second national gathering of Press Organisation Nepal unanimously elected joint-coordinator Ganesh Basnet as the coordinator. Basnet replaces coordinator Mahesh Dahal, who was removed on the ground of lack of activity in carrying out organisational responsibilitie Read More...

NC demonstrates in Rautahat

RAUTAHAT, JANUARY 21 Nepali Congress staged demonstrations across Rautahat district today in protest against what they described as an attack on the nation’s constitution by Prime Minister KP Sharma Oli’s unconstitutional and regressive move. Rallies were organised in all 18 local leve Read More...

PCR report not needed for ABC trek as virus cases slow

POKHARA, JANUARY 21 Trekkers heading to Annapurna Base Camp through various routes to the camp do not require negative PCR reports. Trekking routes were resumed on January 14 amid the infection risk after making it mandatory for trekkers to show PCR reports. A meeting of the Chhomrong T Read More...

Poor leadership to blame for surge in crime: Odd

DHANGADI, JANUARY 21 Nepali Congress Dhangadi Municipal Committee President Nripa Bahadur Odd said that crime had increased after communists offered garlands to criminal-minded people. Addressing a protest assembly in Dhangadi today, Odd said communists had protected rapists, thieves, murderer Read More...