Nepal | January 23, 2021

Melamchi works likely to gain momentum

Himalayan News Service
Share Now:

Kathmandu, April 10

The construction work of Melamchi Water Supply Project, which has been halted since almost five months, is expected to gain momentum as the Melamchi Water Supply Development Board (MWSDB) is preparing to call for a tender notice inviting a new contractor to wrap up construction of the project.

The fate of the water project was unclear since December last year after the Italian company, Cooperativa Muratori e Cementisti (CMC) di Ravenna, which was building the project, abandoned the project owing to its worrisome financial state.

However, MWSDB has started the process to call for a new tender to ensure that the project is completed as soon as possible.

“We are currently preparing documentation works for necessary tender and they are almost ready. We will call for a tender following a nod from the government,” informed Rajendra Panta, spokesperson for MWSDB.

Earlier, the MWSDB had presented two options to the Ministry of Water Supply (MoWS) to move ahead with the project — calling separate tenders for remaining headwork and tunnel work or calling a ‘multi-package’ tender allowing one capable contractor to complete all the remaining works of the project.

However, the MoWS had asked MWSDB to study the construction cost of the remaining works of the project and timeline of the project construction and come up with a concrete plan to successfully complete the Melamchi Water Supply Project.

“We will soon submit a detailed project plan to MoWS,” added Panta.

As per MWSDB, a majority of construction works, excluding tunnel works and headwork, has been completed at the project site. MWSDB has estimated that construction of the remaining works will require a budget of almost Rs three billion.

MWSDB officials have said that the government should make a special decision in a bid to ease the procurement process for the project to ensure that it is completed at the earliest. “If we follow the traditional procedure, as per the Public Procurement Act, the project completion will be comparatively delayed,” mentioned Panta.

Meanwhile, Shankar Prasad Subedi, spokesperson for MoWS, said that the government will take necessary decision after receiving the detailed project plan submitted by MWSDB.

The government had formally cancelled the contract with CMC on February 5 after the Italian company failed to resume works.

Following CMC’s contract termination, different parliamentary committees, including the Public Accounts Committee, have directed the government to complete the project construction through Nepali contractors as soon as possible.


A version of this article appears in print on April 11, 2019 of The Himalayan Times.


Follow The Himalayan Times on Twitter and Facebook

Recommended Stories:

More from The Himalayan Times:

Nepali leaders congratulate US Prez Biden

KATHMANDU, JANUARY 21 Separate messages of felicitations from the top leadership of Nepal were transmitted to the high offices of the United States of America today on the assumption of office by the newly elected leadership. President Bidhya Devi Bhandari sent a congratulatory message to Jose Read More...

NHRC urges govt to save Ganga Maya’s life

KATHMANDU, JANUARY 21 The National Human Rights Commission urged the government to take effective steps to ensure justice to Ganga Maya Adhikari and protect her life. Issuing a statement today, NHRC spokesperson Dr Tikaram Pokharel reiterated the call to implement the agreements reached in the Read More...

NOC provides employment to acid attack survivors

KATHMANDU, JANUARY 21 Oil Corporation has provided jobs to two women who survived acid attack. The NOC provided the job for one year under its corporate social responsibility. The beneficiaries are Pabitra Karki from Okhaldhunga and Basanti Pariyar from Nawalparasi. They were provided jobs Read More...

United Nations urged to tell Nepal government to protect civic freedom

Physical attacks on journalists, rights activists continue to undermine civic space KATHMANDU, JANUARY 21 CIVICUS, the World Alliance for Citizen Participation, has called on UN member states to urge the Government of Nepal to double its efforts to protect civic freedom as its human rights recor Read More...

Ministry of Labour and Employment

Door opens for employment of Nepali youths in Israel

KATHMANDU, JANUARY 21 Implementation Protocol was signed between Nepal and Israel today for implementation of the agreement related to temporary employment of Nepali workers in the labour market of Israel. At a programme held at the Ministry of Labour, Employment and Social Security today, Dir Read More...

Burnley stun Liverpool to end unbeaten home record

LIVERPOOL: Champions Liverpool suffered a shock 1-0 defeat to lowly Burnley on Thursday, ending their 68 match unbeaten home record in the Premier League as their title defence continued to fade. An 83rd minute penalty from Ashley Barnes, after he was brought down by goalkeeper Alisson Becker Read More...

Youth association close to Oli shows support for government

RAJBIRAJ, JANUARY 21 At a time when protest against the controversial dissolution of the Parliament by Prime Minister KP Sharma Oli is spreading across the country, the ruling party’s sister wing National Youth Association Nepal organised a demonstration in support of the prime minister in Sapt Read More...

Basnet selected coordinator of Press Organisation

KATHMANDU, JANUARY 21 The second national gathering of Press Organisation Nepal unanimously elected joint-coordinator Ganesh Basnet as the coordinator. Basnet replaces coordinator Mahesh Dahal, who was removed on the ground of lack of activity in carrying out organisational responsibilitie Read More...