Nepal | May 30, 2020

Plans to lay Valley’s electricity infrastructure underground faces delay

Himalayan News Service
Share Now:

Kathmandu, October 28

Due to the bidders quoting more amount than estimated, the government has again opened a new tender for laying electricity infrastructure underground in the Capital, on October 26. The government is planning to lay all electricity infrastructure in the Valley underground including utility cables as such unplanned infrastructure have killed the beauty of the city.

“All competitor contractors were seeking more money whereas we had already separated a tentative budget for the project,” informed Manoj Silwal, director of Power Transmission and Distribution Efficiency Enhancement Project of Nepal Electricity Authority (NEA).

In June 2017, NEA had said it would place all the physical infrastructure of areas that fall under the Maharajgunj and Ratnapark distribution centres underground within two years as a pilot project. NEA had thus published a tender notice for the works on August 18, 2017, but the companies that submitted their bids had quoted figures beyond what NEA had estimated.

NEA plans to implement the project with funding through the Asian Development Bank’s soft loan assistance worth $150 million under the power extension and distribution capacity increment project. The tender was separated into two segments – Maharajgunj and Ratnapark.

“We published a new tender notice after consultation with ADB and published the new tender as per the bank’s procurement guidelines and we hope to finalise the bid this time,” Silwal added.

When the first tender was opened nine companies had submitted their bids for Maharajgunj segment and eight firms had submitted their bids for Ratnapark segment, as per Silwal. “When we opened the technical bid documents, three had been selected for the Maharajgunj segment and four for the Ratnapark section,” he informed.

“However, when we went through financial proposals we saw that the bids quoted were beyond our estimation, so we rejected all the bids.”

After the project is implemented it is expected to reduce the number of accidents that occur due to unplanned structures. The Ministry of Energy, Water Resources and Irrigation has stated that the Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank has also committed to support the project with loan worth Rs 10 billion.

The government plans to launch the project as power leakage and risk of accidents have been rising due to lack of timely reform in power supply system the Capital for the past two decades.

Meanwhile, Nepal Telecommunications Authority – regulator of the telecom sector of the country – has also said it will manage overhead telecommunication cables. It has plans to coordinate with NEA to lay telecommunication cables underground. NTA had allocated Rs 20 billion for the purpose in the last fiscal year but was unable to do anything in this regard.


A version of this article appears in print on October 29, 2018 of The Himalayan Times.


Follow The Himalayan Times on Twitter and Facebook

Recommended Stories:

More from The Himalayan Times:

Are we doing enough for the mental health of healthcare workers?

The number of coronavirus patients has been increasing over the past few days in Nepal. In the current scenario, it seems like the numbers would further increase in the coming days. Given that healthcare workers and frontline staff are the first responders to manage the ongoing pandemic with limited Read More...

Ten-man Leipzig held to 2-2 home draw by Hertha

LEIPZIG: RB Leipzig's faint title hopes faded further as they fought out a 2-2 home draw with Hertha Berlin after conceding a late equaliser from the penalty spot, having been reduced to 10 men in a see-saw Bundesliga encounter on Wednesday. The result left Leipzig third on 55 points from 28 Read More...

England ask 55 players to return for training

LONDON: A group of 55 England cricketers have been asked to return to training to prepare for the start of the English summer season that was delayed by the COVID-19 pandemic, the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) said on Friday. Cricket was shut down in March due to the novel coronavirus Read More...

VIDEO: Nationwide COVID-19 count jumps to 1,212; sixth death reported

KATHMANDU: The Ministry of Health and Population shared its latest updates on COVID-19 response from across the country, as of today. The total number of coronavirus infection in the country has reached 1,212 with 170 new cases, today. With this, 1,103 males and 109 females have been infected wi Read More...

MoHP briefing: Nepal witnesses exponential increase in COVID-19 cases

KATHMANDU: The Ministry of Health and Population (MoHP), in its regular press briefing, shared the latest updates from across the country on government’s response to COVID-19 crisis. As of today, 64,154 tests through Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) method and 105,478 Rapid Diagnostic Tests Read More...

Ministry of Home Affairs

Chaurjahari Incident: Govt-formed probe committee begins investigation

JAJARKOT: A five-member high level investigation committee formed by Home Ministry to probe the Chaurjahari incident has begun its investigation from today. The incident occurred when Navaraj BK along with his 18 friends reached Sothi in West Rukum district from Bheri Municipality in Jajarkot Read More...

19 COVID-19 diagnosed individuals discharged, 206 recoveries so far

KATHMANDU: As many as 19 persons earlier diagnosed with COVID-19, admitted at different health facilities across the country, have been discharged, following recovery, confirmed MoHP. Two patients receiving treatment at the Teku-based Sukraraj Tropical and Infectious Disease Hospital, have been d Read More...

Sagarmatha Diwas observed today

SOLUKHUMBU: Sagarmatha Diwas or Mt Everest Day was observed in the country today. The Day is marked in memory of the first-ever summit of the world's highest peak Mt Everest (8,848 metres) by Edmund Hillary and Tenzing Norgay Sherpa on May 29, 1953. It may be noted that Nepal Government decide Read More...