Nepal | March 25, 2019

Police in the dark about culprits behind Nakkhu blast

Himalayan News Service

Kathmandu, February 25

Three days after the powerful explosion that killed one person and injured two others in Nakkhu of Lalitpur, and multiple torching of Ncell towers in 21 districts across the country, police are yet to bring to book the perpetrators of the incident.

The home minister in the Parliament’s State Affairs and Good Governance Committee yesterday said the bombing and torching of Ncell offices and towers was undertaken by Netra Bikram Chand-led Communist Party Nepal.  The bombing and torching took place last Friday night and Saturday morning in 21 districts.

Police had claimed they had identified some of the perpetrators, including those involved in Nakkhu bombing, but it has yet to bring the culprit to justice. Police, on the day of the incident, had arrested 26 suspects throughout the country in connection with the series of terrifying incidents. The arrestees included six suspects held by the Metropolitan Police Range, Lalitpur, after the Nakkhu blast.

Meanwhile, the six persons arrested by Metropolitan Police Range, Lalitpur, are still in legal custody of the police. One police source said of the arrested, two youths are suspected to be cadres of Chand-led CPN.

The source said, “Although the boys have not accepted that they were cadres of any political party, we have found clues that they were in contact with some of the party members.”

According to the source, the legal detention of a ‘hardcore’ cadre of the party, Man Bahadur Tiruwa, 23, who was arrested from the Satdobato area after the bombing at Nakkhu continues. Tiruwa, who hails from Kalikot, was living in Dhapakhel, and had been arrested a couple of times earlier for his alleged involvement in various crimes.

Similarly, police have also extended the legal detention of two security guards of Ncell office, who were arrested on suspicion of possible involvement in the bombing. According to the source, “Security guards were still in police detention after they gave contradicting statements to police.”

All the arrestees have been held at Metropolitan Police Crime Division, Teku.

Nepal Police Spokesperson Senior Superintendent of Police Uttam Raj Subedi said, “Investigations are under way. Our probe won’t be biased due to political alliances of the perpetrators. The culprit(s) will soon be behind bars.”

Meanwhile, American ambassador to Nepal Randy Berry has condemned the bombing and expressed condolence to the grieving families through his twitter account. His tweet reads, “My heart goes out to the family of the victim, who was killed in the senseless attack this weekend. We wish full and quick recovery to those who were injured. Such violence is criminal, not a ‘protest’ and has no place in a democratic Nepal.”


A version of this article appears in print on February 26, 2019 of The Himalayan Times.


Follow The Himalayan Times on Twitter and Facebook

Recommended Stories: