Dhangadi, November 5
The hearing on Tikapur carnage, in which nine persons were killed three years ago, has been delayed.
District Court Kailali has not been able to fix a hearing date as the original documents related to case were sent to the Supreme Court. Resham Chaudhary, who is in custody for alleged involvement in the carnage, had filed a writ petition at the Supreme Court against the district court’s decision to keep him in custody. The SC had then demanded all original documents related to the case from the district court.
Staffer Indra Bahadur Kathayat at the court said hearing date would be fixed only after original documents came from the apex court as they were essential.
A case has been filed against 58 persons on the charge of their involvement in the Tikapur carnage at district court.
Recording eyewitnesses’ statements was completed on September 5. “The hearing will be conducted as soon as the documents arrive from the Supreme Court,” said Kathayat.
District Court said that it would fix the date for hearing after the documents came from the Supreme Court.
On the basis of the First Information Report filed by victims, cases of murder, attempted murder and theft is sub-judice at the district court against the 58 accused. Of the accused, two minors are in rehabilitation centre, 24 are in the custody while 32 are at large.
Eight persons, including SSP and one minor, were killed during Tharuhat agitation on August 24, 2015.
Resham Chaudhary was elected to the House of Representatives while he was still at large in Parliamentary election held last year from Kailali contituency-1.
Sometime after being elected as a lawmaker, Chaudhary had surrendered before the district court.
After High Court upheld the order of the district court, Chaudhary registered the writ petition at the Supreme Court demanding his release. It is learnt that verdict will be issued within three months after the hearing starts.
A version of this article appears in print on November 06, 2018 of The Himalayan Times.