Nepal | June 03, 2020

DoA tells KMC not to implement building code at heritage sites

Himalayan News Service
Share Now:

File – An under-construction business complex (right) in Basantapur Durbar Square, in Kathmandu, on Wednesday, October 11, 2017. Photo: THT

Kathmandu, October 10

The Department of Archaeology has issued a letter to Kathmandu Metropolitan City and five other government bodies not to implement the new building code, which allows construction of buildings with two-storey basement and taller than 65 feet, in the preserved monument sub-zones.

The DoA has also asked KMC to implement the rule as per the Ancient Monument Preservation Act 1956.

The act does not allow construction of buildings taller than 35 feet in preserved monument sub-zones. The act also does not allow construction of buildings with basement of any kind in such zones.

The Basic Standards on Settlement Development, Urban Planning and Building Construction for systematic urban development, endorsed by the Cabinet on August 30, 2015, however, allows construction of only five-storey buildings not taller than 45 feet in preserved monument sub-zones.

Activists and locals from heritage sites like Basantapur had been protesting the new building code as it would undermine ancient heritage monuments in Kathmandu Valley.

Activist Ganapati Lal Shrestha said, “The letter sent by the DoA to Kathmandu Metropolitan City has given us a glimmer of hope that heritage monuments will be preserved.”

 


A version of this article appears in print on October 11, 2018 of The Himalayan Times.


Follow The Himalayan Times on Twitter and Facebook

Recommended Stories:

More from The Himalayan Times:

Fear-triggered attack on healthcare worker in Doti

DHANGADHI: A healthcare worker carrying medical supplies to a health post has been attacked amid the fear of coronavirus transmission in Doti. According to health coordinator at Shikhar Municipality-9 Harish Shah, Auxiliary Health Worker (AHW) Ramesh Kunwar, stationed at Dankot Health Post in the Read More...

18 discharged after recovering from coronavirus infection in Dharan

DHARAN: As many as eighteen persons have been discharged from Dharan-based BP Koirala Institute of Health Sciences (BPKIHS) after recovering from COVID-19, on Tuesday. Following two back to back negative results, 17 men from Jhapa and one Dharan native woman were allowed to return home owing Read More...

Highlights: Nepal witnesses highest single-day spike in coronavirus cases

KATHMANDU: Nepal's Health Ministry, in its regular press briefing, shared the latest updates on coronavirus contagion from across the country, and the government’s response to the health crisis. As of today, 75,343 tests through Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) method and 116,345 Rapid Diagn Read More...

Anupam Kher reminisces Naam Shabana memories with throwback picture

KATHMANDU: Bollywood actor Anupam Kher has reminisced memories from Naam Shabana by sharing a throwback picture of the film's cast on his Instagram on June 2. In the photograph one can see the cast of the 2017 action-thriller — Kher along with Neeraj Pandey, Taapsee Pannu, Manoj Bajpayee, Read More...

India approves emergency use of remdesivir to treat COVID-19 patients

BENGALURU: India's government said on Tuesday it has approved Gilead Sciences Inc's antiviral drug remdesivir for emergency use for five doses in treating COVID-19 patients. Remdesivir, which is administered intravenously in hospital, is the first drug to show improvement in COVID-19 patients in Read More...

Person in quarantine reported missing after being swept away by river

POKHARA: A person kept in a quarantine facility in Malika Rural Municipality of Myagdi district has gone missing as he was swept away by a river, on Tuesday. The missing 19-year-old was a resident of Dhaulagiri Rural Municipality-7. It has been learnt that he had recently returned from India a Read More...

Nepali celebs unite in video to help returnees get home safely

KATHMANDU: Nepali celebrities and influencers have urged citizens to welcome Nepali returnees at the southern border with love and respect and help them get back to their homes via a video message. A video by Bidhan Shestha was released on May 30 where media personality Malvika Subba, actors Karm Read More...

Insufficient isolation creates further risk of infection in Rautahat quarantine facilities

RAUTAHAT: With as many as 307 cases of coronavirus infection, the district has been severely hit by the pandemic. On Tuesday alone, 74 positive cases -- including a pregnant woman -- of the respiratory infection have been reported by the Ministry of Health and Population (MoHP), the highest today Read More...