Nepal | August 07, 2020

Martyrs’ families complain of discrimination

Himalayan News Service
Share Now:

Rajbiraj, June 29

Families of the martyrs, injured and disappeared persons during the decade-long insurgency in Province 2 have accused the local government of discriminatory behaviour while distributing different facilities.

They held a press conference to voice their concerns in the district headquarters, Rajbiraj, today.

Speaking at the conference they accused the Ministry of Land Management, Agriculture and Cooperatives of the province of ignoring them altogether while providing cows and buffaloes to the victims of the Madhes agitation.

They said they would submit memorandum to the chief minister and the prime minister through the chief district officer tomorrow.

They have warned of an agitation in all eight districts of the province if their demands are not met.

According to Martyrs, Disappeared and Injured Family committee Saptari Chairperson Rita Chaudhary, a total of 28 persons lost their lives during the Maoist conflict in the district.

“Besides the dead, seven persons are still missing, but the provincial government now seems to be favouring only the families who lost their near and dear ones in the Madhes agitation, which is unfair,” said Chaudhary.

Saying that the discrimination was an insult to those who sacrificed their lives in the decade-long ‘revolution’, the families asked the provincial government to include them in the cows and buffaloes distribution programme.

On the occasion, the committee adviser and Nepal Communist Party (NCP) provincial committee member Arun Kumar Shah identified the distribution procedure of the provincial government as ‘discriminatory’.

“Our demand is simple. The families of the martyrs, injured and those who disappeared during the decade-long Maoist insurgency must be treated on a par with the victims of the Madhes agitation,” said Shah.

Meanwhile, the concerned provincial ministry has denied any discrimination among people.

“We had called for applications from the target families through newspapers. We are also providing facilities to those who had submitted their application,” said an official at the ministry.


A version of this article appears in print on June 30, 2019 of The Himalayan Times.


Follow The Himalayan Times on Twitter and Facebook

Recommended Stories:

More from The Himalayan Times:

Banke district

Seven govt offices in Banke district sealed

NEPALGUNJ, AUGUST 5 COVID-19 was detected in a government employee for the first time in Nepalgunj on July 27. A female staff working at the Banke Transport Management Office tested positive for the virus. Since then, employees in seven government offices have contracted the deadly virus in th Read More...

Bharatpur

Encroachment blamed for inundation

CHITWAN, AUGUST 5 Encroachment of the main city area of Bharatpur Metropolitan City and the canal of Narayani lift irrigation project has caused inundation of the city area. Construction of road in the area and building of structures by burying the canal has led to inundation in the city, said Read More...

Kailali

Body left to rot in hope of resurrection

TIKAPUR, AUGUST 5 “Religious belief of bringing the dead back to life” has allowed a dead body to rot. The mortal remains of a man of Tikapur-1 of Kailali district started stinking after a pastor in the locality assured the family of the deceased that the deceased would resurrect with his pra Read More...

30 rape cases in 4 years in Darchula

DARCHULA, AUGUST 5 Darchula, the district in Sudurpaschim state, reported 30 cases of rape and attempted rape against women and girls in the past four years. According to Darchula District Police Office, most perpetrators are from within the circles of families, relatives and are known to the Read More...

US steps up campaign to purge 'untrusted' Chinese apps

WASHINGTON: The Trump administration said on Wednesday it was stepping up efforts to purge "untrusted" Chinese apps from US digital networks and called the Chinese-owned short-video app TikTok and messenger app WeChat "significant threats." US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said expanded US efforts Read More...

Aviation ministry preparing protocols to resume international flights

KATHMANDU, AUGUST 5 As the government has announced all domestic and international flights will be resumed from August 17, all the concerned authorities are busy preparing protocols on how to manage the flights and passengers during this pandemic. Spokesperson for Ministry of Culture, Tourism Read More...

1,313 Nepalis repatriated

KATHMANDU, AUGUST 5 More than 1,000 Nepalis were repatriated today via eight flights. According to Tribhuvan International Airport (TIA), a total of 1,313 Nepalis were repatriated today. Nepal Airlines Corporation evacuated 151 and 265 passengers from Doha in Qatar and Dubai in the United Arab Read More...

Ncell transforms into a public company

KATHMANDU, AUGUST 5 The country’s largest private telecom company Ncell has been transformed into a public company. Publishing a notice today, Ncell informed its transformation to a public company. With this transformation, Ncell will now be recognised as Ncell Axiata Ltd and all its oper Read More...